Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Today it's me or the Tree...


I was up early this morning. I got cleaned up, made breakfast, and got myself prepared to do battle.. Yep, today it's me or the Tree..


I have a tree growing up in the middle of my one of the lilac bushes. well it's actually around a fence post.. the post holds one of our bluebird boxes.. the box is old and needs to be replaced.. I found one at the Amish community.. and am anxious to get it up.. Most of my boxes were damaged in the ice storm..


surrounding the post is a lilac bush.. and a bunch of "rose of Sharon" bushes. the huge old one is dead.. it has to come out.. then after removing it, I can cut out the tree.. Well, neither one is going peacefully.. I've worked for an hour and half.. I fear the tree is winning.. I just don't have enough umph to get to it and get it cut.. I'm going out again in a few minutes.. I may just have to have husband cut it down.. but I want to do it myself.. I hate wimping out on stuff like this.. I know I can do it, if I can just get in the right position.. the fence post has me limited as to how I can use the bow saw.. not enough room..


the rose of Sharon bushes here grow into trees.. so I really have 2 trees to tackle.. well wish me well.. I'll report back.. if you don't hear from me, call search and rescue.. the trees have taken me as hostage..

UPDATE: I went back out and tackled the tree and the Rose of Sharon.. the Rose of Sharon was the one that really had me perplexed.. I decided to try sawing the larger limbs off.. I tried the first one and after a few minutes decided to bend it over to see If I could get some of it "going my way" so I could cut through it.. It just laid over. I realized I didn't need to cut any of it off.. it was rotten and I pulled all of it up.. 


 After it was gone I could cut the tree out.. in the photo you will see the Lilac bush to the left.. then there are lots of new rose of Sharon sprouts coming up.. then you will see the fence post and the "old" blue bird house. there are baby birds in the nest right now.. so we won't change to the new house until the babies are gone.. I left some of the wisteria vine on the post.. it will help keep the bird house under some shade..

I fought the Tree and the mighty bush.. and I WON.. well, my arms and shoulders are achy.. but I'll tackle something else tomorrow.. I love my Loppers.. they give me such a sense of power..
LOL