Friday, April 10, 2009

Easter memories.. Gumdrop cookies..


This is my Brother Keith.

As a special remembrance of my adoptive mother, I'd like to share her Gumdrop cookie recipe. My papa (my name for my adoptive Dad) always called me "his little gumdrop".. Mom would always let us help her bake. She was patient and we always got to lick the bowls and the beaters..
I guess if I had a favorite cookie when I was little.. this was it.. It's fun to make and the pretty colors of the gumdrops make it great for Easter as well as Christmas.. Of course Cookies any time are GOOD.. Enjoy..

Gum Drop Cookies

1-cup white sugar
1/2- cup brown sugar
1-cup of shortening or butter flavored Crisco (the one in the sticks)
2- eggs
1- teaspoon vanilla
2-1/3 cups all purpose flour (if using self rising flour omit the baking soda and salt)
1- teaspoon salt
1- teaspoon baking soda
1- cup cut up small gum drops
1/2- cup chopped nuts

1- cup gum drops cut into quarters for use on top of the cookies.

Cream together the sugars, shortening, eggs, and vanilla.
Spoon flour into a measuring cup and place into a bowl. Add the salt and baking soda to the flour (do not sift) and stir to blend.
Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in gum drops and nuts. Mix well.
drop by teaspoonful onto a greased baking sheet. Dot top of each cookie before baking with a piece of gum drop.
Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.
makes about 5-6 dozen cookies..

Posted by Picasa