Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Magic of Tire Swings....


We had the opportunity to spend last Saturday at a Friend's house. His son was celebrating a birthday.. Friends piled kids in the car and off we all went to join in the celebration.. We're out in the country so neighbor kids are few and far between.. not like in town where you can walk down the block and get 20 kids that you know to come to your house to play..
When we arrived the party was well under way. We got our glasses of tea and headed for the back porch.. out back were the kids. Some had greeted us in the front yard.. They were busy playing in the pond type water feature.. LOL a kid can find water in a desert, anyway.. the rest were in the back hoisting up the Tire swing. They all stood in line, even the little kids for their turn to ride. The older kids pulled back the swing and made sure their ride was "high" and they didn't crash into the tree.. They swung and twirled for hours.. then it was off in the dark to play hide and seek.. some did come in to watch the adults play the Wii fit.. LOL that's another story.. anyway it did bring to mind my favorite swing. My grandparents in Parma Michigan had a Swing in the front yard. It was on a huge Maple tree right up by the road.. I would swing for hours. I crossed fields and pastures in my mind. I flew with the birds. I was free and happy.. not a care in the world.. I could watch the farmers pass on tractors, and old farm trucks.. I watched new sports cars come whizzing by.. and families in their Sunday best on their way to Church.. I was a in heaven on that old swing..
I often wonder these days with all the video games, computer games, and other hi tech stuff, if our kids aren't missing out on something.. imagination.. I think that 's part of the reason I love the country.. kids here have that stuff.. but they still get outside and play.. they ride 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, hunt (yes, I said hunt.. a great way to learn firearm safety, and a time to bond with Dad) and fish, learn how to swim in the ponds, They make cars out of rocks and drive them around in the dirt.. they dig for worms, and twirl around on the ole' tire swing..
Think I'm going to take a turn next time.. I could use a good swing.. and a little imagination..
Posted by Picasa