Wednesday, April 29, 2009

School Daze


We had to get out in the barn to fix a hole.. At one time chickens were housed in this section of the barn. To save time, the folks cut out a hole in the side and hinged the board. It allowed the board to be let down as a plank allowing the chickens access outside.. Well someone used the entryway to gain access to the barn.. LOL some kind of skinny mini for sure.. I could barely get my leg through that hole let alone my whole body.. We don't keep anything worth stealing in there.. (thank goodness) I'm sure they hoped to gain access to the other part of the barn, but that has been blocked off with a door.. anyway while working my flower bed next to the barn the board fell in leaving a nice entry to another skinny human, or a new home for various varmints living in the area.. so We had to fix a hole..
It was then that I remembered we still had the desk.. One of Husband's teachers desks.. I had forgotten we had it.. A Friend left it on our porch the last time we were here. She was moving, and as a special gift to us, she left the desk. Miss Edna's desk.. one of husbands favorite teachers.. The school here was 4 Rooms.. 2 grades to a classroom. No kindergarten.. you started school here in first grade.. Husband liked having two grades in a room.. he would finish his work early and listen to or follow the assignment for the older class.. A great way to learn more. Out of sheer boredom I'm sure..
We'd like to refinish the desk.. actually I'll share a dream with you.. I'd like to someday, if we build a house, fix a corner of the cabin to resemble one of the old classrooms.. We have a pupils desk.. not one from this school, but one similar.. the desks were all burned (egad) when the school was torn down (what a waste) to put in a mobile home... :-(
the former owner used this building to house animals.. chickens, rabbits etc.. We have brought it literally from a chicken coup to a very comfortable 2 room cabin... OK, so I'd like to have the teachers' desk, pupil desks.. 2 or three... then some slate boards for the pupil desks... a blackboard/ or slate board for teacher.. I have some old school books.. I'd love to find the Alphabet letters that use to hang over the blackboard.. do you remember them? I think it would look so cute.. and maybe a few things to go on the desk, globe, bell, etc.. I'll have to ask husband if he remembers what Miss Edna kept on her desk.
If you look at the desk the top opens up.. it's kind of cool.. you pull up and the top comes up along with a place to put books etc.
The hole is fixed.. the plastic sheeting put back over the desk.. maybe we will refinish it next spring, not enough time this year.. We are needing to head on home soon...
Posted by Picasa