Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Just A Dog...

Me and Duke 1960

"Just a dog".. 
I read that on a Status message from a friend on facebook yesterday.
 (scroll to the bottom of the page to read that message) 
Wow did it get me thinking.

How many times have I heard family and friends say... oh Karen, It's "just a dog".. Like the writer of the post said.. "they just don't understand".. It's more. A lot more.. 

That "dog" taught me about responsibility, loyalty, and love. 

That "dog" taught me about Joy and being happy about everything.

That "dog" taught me to care about the feelings of others. 

That "dog" would lay by my bed when I was sick and comfort me when I had a broken leg, or a broken heart.  

That "dog" would follow me to the ends of the earth.. just cause "that dog" wants to be with me. 

That "dog" would wake me up and get me going when depression and grief wanted to swallow me whole. 

That "dog" warns me of danger and will protect me with it's life. 

That "dog" thinks I'm the most wonderful thing in the world. 

That "dog" is my friend, psychologist, hunting buddy, snake killer, defender, and pillow. 

That "dog" is more then I can even explain. 



Butch 1950's

My life has be fuller because of "Just a dog".. 
“From time to time, people tell me, “lighten up, it’s just a dog”, or, “that’s a lot of money for just a dog”. They don’t understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for “just a dog”. Some of my proudest moments have come about with “just a dog”. Many hours have passed & my only company was “just a dog”, but I didn't once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by “just a dog” & in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of “just a dog” gave me comfort & reason to overcome the day. If you, too, think it’s “just a dog”, then you will probably understand phases like “just a friend”, “just a sunrise”, or “just a promise”. “Just a dog” brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, & pure unbridled joy. “Just a dog” brings out the compassion & patience that makes me a better person. Because of “just a dog” I will rise early, take long walks & look longingly to the future. So for me & folks like me, it’s not “just a dog” but an embodiment of all the hopes & dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, & the pure joy of the moment. “Just a dog” brings out what’s good in me & diverts my thoughts away from myself & the worries of the day. I hope that someday they can understand that it’s not “just a dog” but the thing that gives me humanity & keeps me from being “just a human.” So the next time you hear the phrase “just a dog”, just smile, because they “just don’t understand”
~Jae and Shannon Rodgers~