Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Dip...





 The 88 Dip to be exact. A wonderful old Ice Cream / burger joint in Marion Ky. I have a lot of fond memories of the Dip. I can taste those burgers now, and the shakes, oh my goodness the shakes. But I digress.  


The Dip. We still go every time we get down to our place in Ky. We don't live in town, but it's a nice little drive there. We find ourselves in Marion often. I like the shops there and it's the County seat so we pay taxes there and such. 


My first memory of "The Dip" was back in 1980 when Ken's great uncle Dewey Norvall took us into town for supper. We had already eaten at the Burger Queen. Tonight we were gonna go to "The Dip". Cool. I walked up to the counter after Uncle Dewey and husband ordered. I perused the menu. The young man behind the counter all young and snappy looking. I almost think I remember he had on a white apron.  


I asked for the Chicken basket as did Uncle and husband. I then asked the most horrific question that has ever been uttered in the state of Ky. " What kind of pop do you have?" 
Now that may seem seem weird that I would make such a statement, but it's true. That question has haunted me on several occasions. I came to realize the problem was not me, but the two cultures. One that says soft drinks are referred to as pop, and one that says soft drinks are referred to as cokes (no matter what it is) or soda. 


Well that poor young man looked me square in the eye and said "pardon me ma'am". I repeated by question.. "What kind of pop do you have".. He in turn again pronounced "pardon me ma'am". 
I,  thinking he might be a bit hard of hearing proclaimed in a much louder voice. " What kind of pop do you have"..  He in turn began turning the shade of ketchup, and whimpered " pardon me ma'am.".   


Well I'd had it.. with every exasperated bone in my body.. I asked.. " what kind of pop do you have, you know.. coke, Pepsi, 7-up,  you know pop?"   To this he gained a huge grin and proudly said ".. oh, you mean sodie "..  then he proceeded to give me the run down on the soft drinks available to me. It was quite a laugh for all of us. I will tell you that I have run into the same problem recently too. Walmart to be exact. The poor girl thought I was asking for pipe.. when I was asking where the pop was. LOL  


To continue on. The Chicken was out of this world. The hamburgers can be ordered in two different sizes. The normal size is HUGE.. I had my first pork chop sandwich here. I also pick up Ken real strawberry shakes here.. no fancy machine thingy.. a real milk shake machine that they put ice cream and real strawberries in.  It's fabulous. 


We always make the trip into Marion to the "The 88 Dip". We enjoy the Happy faces and prompt service. They still wrap their food in pieces of waxed paper held with a toothpick. I love it. 


below I am including a bit of their history. I found it when clicking on their ad in the local paper. 
If you ever find yourself in Marion Ky. you will want to stop at "The 88 Dip".  it's well worth the extra wait. 



Our History
The 88 Dip Restaurant opened in the spring of 1952, having been founded by Raymond and Florence Jones and Eugene and Thelma Cruce. Raymond and Gene owned the garage on the adjoining lot where they opened an Oldsmobile dealership. Thus the name 88 Dip, derived from the 88 Oldsmobile and the dipping of ice cream. Raymond and Gene made frequent trips to Chicago for the purpose of buying vehicles for resale, and having seen the drive-in restaurants in that area, thought Crittenden County residents might be receptive to such a business.

The original business was small and only ice cream items and a limited sandwich menu was offered. In the late 50s, the building was enlarged to include a dining area and restrooms. Along with that came an expanded menu including sandwiches, chicken and pizza as well as "curb service."

In August of 1970, Raymond and Florence purchased the Cruce interest in the 88 Dip and it has been in the Jones family since that time. It is currently owned and operated by Melissa Jones Tabor and her husband, James A. "Jat" Tabor, and Bill Jones, continuing the history of family ownership through three generations.

In the early days of the 88 Dip, it was the only restaurant of its type in town and was the turn-around place for the young people cruising through town. Later, after John Holloman built the Dairy Merry on the south side of town, the routine was to circle the Dip on the north end of town and the Dairy Merry on the south end, over and over and over again.

After 55 years and three generations of serving the people of Marion and Crittenden County, we strive to continue the tradition of friendly service and good food started by Raymond and Florence Jones many years ago.