Monday, September 5, 2011

A Great Recipe For Salsa...

This is a photo of the salsa I made last week. 

I was just finished writing the entry about canning and realized I had told you I would share my salsa recipe with you. It's easy to make, the chopping takes the longest. You may want to go chop all the veggies first. 
The photo of my first batch this year didn't turn out well. The lighting wasn't right and I didn't realize it. It will look brighter then this. Cooking it will darken it, but not a lot. You may want to cut the amounts down and just make it up and store in the fridge. You may have a fresh salsa recipe that is quicker. I'd probably save this one for canning. I use it in meatloaf, and mix in some with black or pinto beans and mix it up with rice. It's great. As a side note I canned some of the Salsa in the 1/2 pt. jars aka: jelly jars, for my Special Soldiers. They are also great for quick gifts. 

Salsa

*Use only FRESH ingredients. (makes about 8 pints) 

20-22 medium Tomatoes, washed, peeled, and quartered. (enough to make 18 cups) 
1/2 cup finely chopped red chilies
6- Jalapenos seeded and finely chopped
3-banana peppers seeded and finely chopped
1- green pepper seeded and fine chopped
4-1/2  cups Onion finely diced
1-cup celery finely diced
1/2- clove garlic ( I use about 2 tsp. of the minced in the jar)
1- 12oz can of tomato paste
1-1/2 cups of white vinegar
2-Tablespoons Season Salt
3- Tablespoons regular Salt
1- Tablespoon ground black pepper
1- Tablespoon sugar (optional) 

** I have also used other peppers like poblano peppers. They are mild and have a great flavor. If you remove the seeds you remove a lot of the heat. We don't like hot, so I may add another green pepper or yellow peppers and take away a couple of the jalapenos. You may want to add a couple of the hotter peppers. it's all up to you. I usually have more tomatoes so I make sure I keep careful track of the # of cups. then adjust the recipe accordingly. 

Mix all the ingredients in a large pot.
 Heat to boiling, then simmer for about 3 hours. 
You will want to make sure you stir it ever so often. 
If you have a lot of excess juice, you may want to remove it after cooking for 2 hours. 
(I use a turkey baster to remove any extra juice) 
* I have found if I chop the stuff kind of chunky there is not as much juice

To Can
Fill Jars with hot salsa and seal. 
process in a water bath about 20-30 minutes for pints. 
about an hour for quarts.