Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I Learned Something From An Ugly Pie...


It happened again tonight. Another Ugly Pie. Thank goodness it tasted good. A little on the Tart side, but good. It could have used some ice cream, but good. 

It all started just before I was going to make supper. Husband popped into the kitchen asking where my apple peeler was. I got it for him. Then he asked for a big bowl. As I was just about to ask how big, he grabbed my dishpan and said it would work just fine. He left the kitchen in a flurry. I didn't really pay much attention to him. I had been in the middle of trying to find some paperwork I had misplaced. 

After about 15 minutes he returned to my kitchen with a face full of GRIN.. He shoved the dishpan, that was now heaped full of apple slices, in my hands and said "Pie".. eyes gleaming. He headed off to the garage to get the mower. I had been given a task. I was stunned. 

Pie! Egad I don't have pie crusts. I don't know where my "OK" pie recipe is. How much crust do you make for a dishpan full of apple slices. How in the world am I suppose to make pie now. It wasn't on my list of things to do today. My list was done. I just had supper to make. No sir Pie was not on my list. 

I thumbed through 5 or 6 of my recipe boxes trying to remember where the pie crust recipe was. The one with boiling water and melting Crisco and flour. I finally found it. I attempted to make it. It was horrendous. Pie.. good grief how am I suppose to make a pie right this minute. The dog gone crust won't work up or roll out. Pie.. hmph.. 

After several attempts I finally got the bottom crust to roll out. I wrestled it into the pan. A deep dish baker I got from Pampered chef a few years ago. while I was working on the crust I cooked the apples down with some sugar twin (husband is diabetic) and cinnamon. I got the apples in the crust. whew.. they all fit. I then attempted to place the top crust. 

Not happening. It broke into about 20 pieces.. I tried patching it. I had already re-rolled it several times. I waded the whole mess up and tossed it. I decided I'd just make up some topping and sprinkle the yumminess all over the top and bake it that way. 

I found the two recipes for topping I had scratched on slips of paper. One I had tried was horrible. It just made a giant lump that tasted of flour on the top of the pie. I knew I held that recipe in my hands, but which one was it. goodness.. I chose. I'm not even suppose to be making pie I grumbled under my breath. I can't make a pie with no crust. Whose gonna eat this thing. grumble grumble grumble.. 

I mixed up the topping that looked like the one I would want. I was wrong.. as soon as I had it all glopped on the top and had baked it for a few minutes. I realized it was the horrible horrible horrible flour blob topping. I grabbed the pie out of the oven and attempted to remove the offensive topping. I got most of it. 

Now what.. I can't have apple pie with no crust or yummy topping.  Did I tell you I wasn't even suppose to be making pie. I quickly threw the horrible topping recipe out so I wouldn't make it by accident again. I grabbed the other recipe and whipped it up.. it sprinkled on like it was suppose to .. (big fist pump here) I tossed the pie back into the oven and made the coffee. Oh yes, we had company coming. I had spent 2 hours making a pie to put in the oven and bake for another hour. wow. NOT.. I was suppose to have made us supper too. I did not. No time now. The company was coming. 

The pie baked up well. It wasn't the prettiest pie I had ever made, but it would do. 
We all had a piece of it warm out of the oven. Husband, our company, and I. It was good. I hadn't even planned on making a pie. Hmmmm 

That got me to thinking. Life throws stuff at me I wasn't planning. I grumble to God about it. I look for a way to try and hurry it along and get through it; or I go to some of my old ways of dealing with things. Ways I thought I tossed away long ago. I continue to grumble to God about why now. It's not what I was planning. I don't want to have to deal with this now. It was not on my list for today !!!  

Sometimes it feels like God just shoved the dishpan in my hands and yells Pie.. 
Then all of a sudden it doesn't look so bad. Unexpected things or people show up. Then that Pie God wanted me to be ready with, whatever that Pie ends up being. Well it seems to work out just right. I see I needed that Pie. I just didn't realize it. 

Today my pie was ugly. I wasn't planning on dealing with all the problems associated with it. I wasn't prepared to make it. There were several times it was so ugly that parts of it had to be thrown away, But in the end we all had that pie. It was just what we needed.