Saturday, September 10, 2011

September 11th.. We Remember..


   It is difficult to believe that it has been 10 years since that day. I can still remember it, I can still feel all the emotion, the fear, the terror, and the overwhelming grief of it. I remember crying every day for weeks. I remember not sleeping but watching TV for hours, holding my breath, and praying. A lot of praying. I remember it was the first time in my 43 years of life that I felt fear. True dark evasive fear.

 I, like millions watched the events that morning unfold on "Good Morning America".. I was so thankful for Charlie Gibson. He was calm and had a soothing voice just like my papa. It helped. I think it was the only thing that kept me from hysteria. After the 2nd plane hit I woke up Ken screaming. It took him a while to understand what I was trying but failing to say. I led him to the TV. and we watched.

We had a Ladies Missionary meeting that morning. I went. In the truck on the way to the meeting I heard about the Pentagon. I was stunned into numbness. We had our meeting. We prayed, though I think we mostly went through the motions. I don't think any of us had fully grasped what was taking place. Maybe somewhat but not fully. I felt like we all just operated like robots doing what we always did. I guess I was comforted by the fact that none of those ladies seemed to be panicked. That kept me calm for a time. Until I got home.

Over the next few weeks I was able to "help", by making blankets for the children who lost parents at the Trade Center. Our project Linus group (they make quilts for children suffering illness and trauma) was asked to donate 100 blankets. They were combined with other Linus group donations from around our state, and mailed to the Chapter in New York. I prayed over the blankets I made. I prayed that they might give some small comfort to a precious child.

Later I volunteered to cross stitch 4 blocks for a memorial flag that honored all who had been killed by terrorist attacks. I made two blocks for two Sailors who had died on the USS Cole. and two for people who had died in the towers. That Flag was sewn together and is now on display in Oklahoma City at a Museum. It is 63 feet long and 25 ft. wide. You can see the flag here. there is a wonderful story about the vision one woman had to create it. I took photos of my squares before sending them off. I'm glad I did. I look at that flag now and feel like I did something good for those families who suffered so much.

I should also say that I saw in those first few days True American Spirit. That day there was no black or white, no ethnicity, no politics, no religion,  that day we were all Americans. I saw the best we could be. I saw flags flying from everywhere. I saw hundreds of volunteers. I saw hundreds of hugs and heroes that day. That was the thing I'd like to remember most. I'm hoping as the years go on those GOOD things will stand out. I hope those things will be what I recall. I hope those feelings of Pride, and Patriotism will be the things that come flooding into my heart and my mind.

The last thing I wanted to mention was President George Bush's speech given that night. I read through it again tonight. It gave me some comfort then. I try not to talk to much about politics, but I truly believe that President Bush was the right man for that hour. You can read that speech here.

As we come to this 10th Anniversary I pray that we will remember how we cared for each other in those days. I pray we will also be willing to step out and step up if called upon to do so. I pray that we continue to see the fight against terrorism in any form, as our fight.

God Bless America....