Monday, October 3, 2011

Soup's On...


The one thing that Husband and I look forward to each fall is fall food. We sometimes refer to it as Winter food too. The good hot and hearty stuff that sticks to your ribs. We have just come off a summer of grilled steaks, burgers, dogs, and polish sausage. Lots of yummy fresh vegetables from the garden and mounds of Salads, tossed, potato, slaw. All that quick and cool food for the hot days of summer. The days when you don't want to "heat" the kitchen up.

The last week or so has been cool. We've had several frosts now and the garden is done. Husband picked the very last bits of it yesterday. A few puny tomatoes, some summer squash, and the last of the green peppers. He conveniently reminisced about how his mama would take the last of the garden stuff, beans etc. and make up a huge pot of soup. She added add some white beans and onions. Meat if she had it. And then all those lovely vegetables. Husband also remarked how much he loved that soup, and it was just the perfect weather for some Homemade Soup.

Today I cut up the rest of our roast beef (I've been craving a roast with carrots and onions for days) from Sunday along with the carrots. Then I added onions, mushrooms, chopped tomatoes, the summer squash, the peppers and some canned great northern beans. It was wonderful. You would have thought he'd died and gone to heaven when he saw the soup pot on the stove.

I hate to see the warm weather leave. It's not gone yet. We will still have a few 70 degree days, but they are fewer now. I've brought out the flannel sheets and the blankets. I have dug out the sweatpants and long sleeved shirts, the sweaters and jackets. I've turned on the heat. I'm turning it back down. It warmed up nicely today. Hopefully I won't have to turn it on again for another week or so. I'm thinking Winter food now. Big pots of Chili, meat loaf, dumplings with Chicken, and Beef stew.  Homemade bread, Batches of cookies, and pies. Maybe even some pumpkin muffins.