Thursday, April 29, 2010

A Day in the Life: Day 2 Wed.

Wow, I think I finally figured how to do this day thing in order and with all the photos in one post. It took a little longer to upload them, but when I did them earlier thinking they were in order, they were not. LOL reading them from the end of the day to the beginning is bad enough. This time they were not only backward, but mixed in with another post. weird.

Today started great !! Hubby brought me home a wonderful English Toffee Capacino. It was way yummy and gave me a quick caffeine push. I needed one. I was about to embark on an adventure.

Before the adventure begins I'll remind you that I have done all the routine morning things I told you about in the Monday posts. All 7 of them.. sheesh.. If you read them all you get an A.

These are the girls. Sissy is the one at the bottom of the bed. she is the timid one. She has gotten a bad reputation. She is my chewer. She has chewed numerous holes in my fuzzy blanket (the one on the bed) . She has chewed the binding off it (yep, this one) . She has chewed through almost every sheet set, blanket, and comforter I own. Hubby caught her chewing on the blanket the other day. He read her the riot act. She is very contrite and sweet and I haven't caught her munching on my bedding all week.

I had decided to head out for a short walk. This is one of the many homes for sale in our area. Like so many this one is owned by a company out west. The lender foreclosed on it. It's been sitting empty with about 6 other homes in our subdivision. A shame how the American dream of Home ownership has become a nightmare for so many.

I love this picture. I love the chairs. I love the shape of them and the color. I hate the fence that keeps me from getting a fabulous shot of them. It's a very tall fence. The people put it in years ago when they had large dogs. I think it's 8 ft tall maybe taller. I wish the neighbors would just let me roam through their yards and take pictures. They don't. Unfortunately these days I would be met with the wrong end of a loaded shotgun, or taking a ride to the pokey in a
police car. I just stay on my side of the fence.

I get back home from my walk and begin the day.

Today I'm going to cook Wednesday night supper at Church. We have a couple of groups that take turns making supper on wed. nights. It's a great ministry. It lets those who work get their kids and head to Church without having to worry about getting supper first. Today I'm taking a turn. Some of my regular helpers are out of commission,
so I'm going to do most of the cooking myself.

I have an easy menu. Meatloaf, Mashed potatoes with gravy, corn, tossed salad, and vanilla pudding with vanilla wafer cookies. Plus Ice tea and punch. I head to Gordon's food service. It's my first of two stops to pick up the groceries.


Then it's on to Meijers for the rest of what I need.



This photo is of me taking my picture. I did it when I stopped at the Church the first time to check on my shopping list. I don't want to buy food it if we don't need it.

I'm kind of cute except for that giant right eye.



I probably shouldn't have, but I did. I was hungry and, I knew it would be awhile before the food was cooked, so I stopped at the McDonalds on the corner, next to the Meijers.
I got a happy meal so all my weight loss buddies can rest easy. I didn't even eat all the fries.

I loved the smile I was greeted with. It's amazing how a smile can make your day a little happier.

(for my special Soldiers and Marines, I got the boy toy)


This is my first attempt at a real meal for wed. night. I've only cooked wed. nights one other time a couple of weeks ago. This is the first time I'm cooking by myself. Now don't get the idea that I couldn't find help. I had several people offer to help me cook. Meatloaf cooks itself, and instant mashed, and gravy mix don't get any easier. Corn was in the can along with the vanilla pudding. The salad was pre-mixed in a bag. I just added some cherry tomatoes and diced cucumber. The hardest part of this meal was getting the meatloaf out of the pans in one piece so I could slice it. My helpers came to set up, serve, and clean up.. yahoo for Church family that pitch in and help...

I made 3- 3# meatloaves for about 25 of us. There wasn't a crumb left. I usually bring a plate home for hubby. I had to make him soup and grilled cheese sandwiches when I got home. It was all gone except for the gravy and some salad.


This is Alex. He and his mom Becky came up and helped cover the tables, put out salt and pepper, the salad and dressings, the pudding, cookies, ice etc.

I would have gotten a photo of the dinner when it was done, but I was so busy serving I didn't even think of taking pictures until we were almost done.

The food has been served and my friend Cathy and I are on the last of the dishes. only a few pots left and the containers for drinks. I do want to remember to make a small pot of coffee next time. I didn't this week and several folks came looking. I just didn't think of it.

We usually stop the dinners during the summers. When they start back in the fall I'd like to make Pasties. I think most people would eat them. I would need some help making them as they take some work to prep. I'd also like to whip a little Nissua on them for dessert. We would have to have coffee too.

I got home about 5 hours after starting. I was tired. whipped actually. My knee was screaming with pain. I got home, hobbled inside, and grabbed the pain meds. Fixed hubby his supper, then headed to the couch. I did make it back to computer to play a little scrabble, but the day had gotten the best of me and it didn't take me long to give it up and go to bed.
All in all it was a good day.