Sunday, January 17, 2010

Another Year, Another Diet aka: Healthier Way of Living..

Another Year, another Diet... Holy Moly, I'm attempting it again.. I do so well for the first 15 or 20 minutes.. then it's a struggle. A stronghold... A battle of epic proportions..

Diets, I have tried them all, well most of them. I have never been big on just eating one food, or gross out diets that have you eating some weird thing, or "cleansing your innards", and I have never gotten acupuncture, or been hypnotised. I just resolve every year to make healthier choices and to do some kind of exercise..

Some of those healthier choices include getting off the diet pop.. I did it with great gusto last year. and did really well until the fall when I kept finding great pop sales.. you just can not miss a good sale.. so it's some weird brand and it's a weird flavor.. hey, it's on sale, buy it.. LOL but I digress.. or should I say I'm off chasing a rabbit.. Yes, last year I replaced pop with good old water. I am trying it again this year. I really like those little packets of sugar free drink mix, so when I want to change it up I add one..

I still have a house full of Christmas Groceries.. the stuff I never got around to making. Cookies, peanut brittle, cheese balls, etc. I plan to use them, just sparingly, and when I do make something I plan to have someone here to send it home with.

I went to the grocery store and started stocking up on low-calorie soup, low fat dairy, low calorie bread, along with fresh veggies, salad stuff, fresh fruit, etc. I like it all, it's just so dag um expensive. I'm not surprised that we are a nation of obese people. healthy food is expensive, and if you have a family to feed you skimp where you can.

I have a little group of friends on fb that have joined me in this years endeavor. They are fun and supportive. Something I need. It's always good to know we don't battle things alone.

I haven't started exercising yet. I have done some weird thing to my knee. I had surgery on it in '91. I finally decided that it's gotten bad enough to warrant a visit to the Knee dude.. I have my appt. for the end of the month. I'm hoping some meds and maybe some therapy will get it back in shape.

I'm glad I started this again. I need it. I need to stop looking at it as another diet, and keep thinking about it as a lifestyle change. I need to remember I want to live a long time, and I want to be healthy.. So I'll begin again.. I'll watch my portions, I'll eat when I'm actually hungry (not mad, or sad, or stressed, or moody, or happy), I'll make healthy yummy choices, and I'll pray about it. "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.."