Sunday, January 17, 2010

Today I Had To Say Goodbye...

I love this picture. So peaceful, so quiet, so tranquil. So unlike my thoughts and emotions.. Today I had to say goodbye. One of the members of our Troops Support group passed away in the night on wed. Today I took the long quiet drive to the funeral home. To pay my respects, to hug the grieving wife and children. To recall a joke that Jack and I had between us. To remember..

I haven't known Jack and Shelly for long, but they have touched my heart. Jack especially. He is a Vietnam Vet. I don't mind telling you that Veterans hold a special place in my heart. I think Vietnam vets touch my heart in a special way because dear husband is a Vietnam vet.. I know from his stories and those of other Vets of that time, that theirs was not a pleasant or joyful homecoming.. I try to make sure I always thank them for their service and if they don't mind, I want to hug 'em.. I am a huggy person and I'd love to hug everyone I see. I have come to realize some people do not want strangers coming at them, let alone hugging or touching them.. so I ask.. I asked Jack.. just to make sure it was ok with him.. and with his wife Shelly.. Jack laughed.. and he gave me a big ole bear hug.. That was our greeting always.. a smile and a quick hug..

Our Support group packed boxes on wed. night. (We send the boxes to deployed troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.) Jack packed a box. He usually helps tape them up, but wed. night he packed a box.. Jack felt good wed. night.. He even remarked to a few of the guys how great he felt.. I noticed that he like several others were touched by an especially sweet letter that was sent to the group from one of our Troops.. The letter mentioned how special the group was and how they would never forget all the love and smiles that were packed in each box from our group. That was the last time I saw that smile.. and my heart is grieved.

I don't know Jack's personal beliefs. I do know he loved his wife, his family, and his country.. I know that an American Hero left us. I know that I will always remember the smile that filled up that face.. and I'll remember that big Ole bear hug.. Today I had to say goodbye.. and my heart is grieved...