Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Time To Start Thinking About The Garden

The first of the garden magazines came in the mail last week. I'm excited... Husband had me get on-line and order about 10 more seed catalogs. I ordered a few extra.. LOL So we have a wide variety to peruse through..

This is a little early for us to start dreaming about the garden. I think it's because we've had a warm up for the past few days. Some of the snow has started to melt, and thinking about being warmer means garden planning..

I have planned some gardens ! I mean, I have P L A N N E D some gardens now.. I have planned rock gardens, herb gardens, rose gardens, flower gardens, butterfly gardens, hummingbird gardens, and vegetable gardens.. I have planned huge gardens, small gardens, window box gardens, and Truck farms.. (giggle) I have planned many an orchard and nut tree farm.. I can PLAN a garden.. It's the getting it all together, working up the ground, planting, weeding, fertilizing, picking, and canning that I'm not in to so much.. I guess I should take back the word canning.. and planting.. I love to can and I love to plant.. I love to watch it all grow.. I do NOT like weeding or picking..

Dear husband has always had a garden. He worked with his mama in their garden every summer as soon as he was old enough to walk. He worked with his brothers in their gardens. (he was the baby in the family) When he had his own home, he immediately fixed a garden spot.. planted fruit trees and grapes. He put a garden in for the neighbor lady. She owns the field behind our house. He put in a garden for her and She let him put in 2 acres of garden for himself as his pay for planting and caring for hers.

Our garden is much smaller now. Just a section of the back yard. Our rototiller needs work, and husbands back won't take much in the way of hoeing, planting, or picking. We have a nephew who came and worked up the garden for us a couple of summers ago. We were so thankful.. It just wasn't a good year. So we didn't get much out of it. Last summer another nephew offered to give us his garden excess (as have other family members) But last year was a really bad year. Cold and wet for most of the summer. We didn't even buy much from the roadside markets.

I'm not sure we will be able to have a garden this year. Husband has mentioned just working up a small area and sticking out a few tomato plants. His back just won't take running the tiller anymore.. He wants those garden catalogs so he can order some plants. He was really excited to see that he could get plants..

I don't know if we'll have a garden this year. I hope we do. Maybe our nephew can come over and work up a little space in the garden for us. Maybe I'll talk our friend into coming over and looking at the tiller. I'll bet between husband (whose eyes are bad) and him, they could get it running again.. For now I'm going to say YES, WE WILL HAVE A GARDEN.. It will take me a little longer to weed it, and I may have to water it. I may even have to pick most of it.. But man will it be great to watch it grow, taste it's goodness.. and share it with friends and family.

Yep, it's time to start thinking about the garden. Time for me to PLAN...