Monday, July 30, 2012

My Special Friend Mr. Moon...


I was reminded of a special friend that I've neglected for a while. 
while I was reading a blog post by Christy Jordan, a yummy recipe for Orange Rolls, and a Story about a special moment in her life with her grandmother.. It reminded me of my special friend Mr. Moon. 

One of my special memories is my daddy holding me in his arms and looking out at the moon. Sometimes we were in the house, sometimes outside. He would always ask me If I could see the man in the moon. We would recite the children's rhyme "Star light Star bright" and then we'd try to count the stars. 

I loved when daddy would tell me that no matter where we were. Even when I was grown up, we could look at the moon and know the other was looking at the same moon. 

I do that today too. My friend Mr. Moon.. I can look at him in MI and know my friends in Ky. are looking at him too. Counting the same stars and maybe wishing on them too. 

I have looked at my friend Mr. moon many times over the past 50 + years. He gives me a great sense of comfort and security. When I was out in Colorado or in the U.P. on trips without my husband, I could look at Mr. Moon and I knew all was well. Somehow he seems to connect me with those I love and care about. 

Daddy can't look at the moon with me here.. I think he may have to look down at it from his place in Heaven. but I know if he can see it that we are connected. I may even ask him if he can see the man in that old moon..