Tuesday, July 3, 2012

I Think I Have Eclectic Tastes In Music....




As I was watching TV with hubby tonight we stumbled upon a special on Appalachian Mountain Music. It's roots in the Scotch-Irish immigrants that came to this county. While I was listening to that music I mentioned I had some of the songs on CD. My husband said, " You do? you're kidding right?".. Uh, no I have them. 

Let's see if you agree with my assessment of my eclectic taste in music. As I peruse my Cd collection I find that I love Motown music. I see Marvin Gaye, The Supremes, and Motown classics. I also see Steppenwolf, and Creedence Clearwater revival. I see Bob Seger, and Toby Keith. Rascal Flatts and Brad Paisley. I see Bing Crosby, Perry Como, and The Great Tenors. I have CD's of Music from the Appalachians and Bill Monroe. 

I love some of the more familiar classical music things, like the music from the Nut Cracker Ballot. My favorite Classical number by far is Nessun Dorma sung by Luciano Pavarotti. You can listen to it hereI looked up the English translation for the song and love it. I want this played at my Funeral. I think at the end. The last 4 statements are " at dawn, I will win, I will win, I will win." 

Tonight I was toe tapping to the wonderful music of the mountain people. "The Road to Kaintuck", "On The Banks Of The Ohio", "Price of Progress" "Uncle Pen" "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" and others. 

Then there are the wonderful Contemporary Christian groups I love like Casting Crowns, and Mercy Me. 
I love the old music from the 50's and 60's.  Etta James, Nat King Cole, and Bing Crosby. 

Funny how each style of music touches my heart and soul in a different way. I kind of cringe when people want to know what kind of music I like. I want to say, " I like it all".