Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Oh Happy Day... Hubby's Last Radiation Treatment


It's difficult to believe that we walked into the Cancer center and say this just a few weeks ago. I know the fear that gripped me on that first visit. I'm sure Husband Ken had fear too. A lot of fear. We didn't want to be here and I wouldn't look at this quilt. I looked at it after a few days, but it took a while. 



The little garden wasn't in bloom then. The water falls was running, but the benches and chairs had not been put out and it was all still kind of dead looking from winter. When I looked at it today it was wonderful. I hadn't noticed all the different types of flowers and trees. I hadn't noticed the ponds with Lilly's and frogs, or the little bridge. It was great. 

After the first week or so of treatments I had some appointments that kept me from going with hubby. He went himself.. After a few days I noticed he was leaving almost an hour and a half early. I asked him why. He said if they weren't busy they'd just take him in. He also enjoyed talking to the others there. 

Ken would come home every day telling me about a new person he had met. He loves to talk. If you want to talk to him or not, he'll talk to you. He met a man who had been a POW in Vietnam. He listened as the man told how he had been captured and how he had escaped. I wish I had met him. What an amazing man. 

He came home with others stories too. Stories of the brave folks who were coming for treatments. Some for the a different cancer, a new cancer, or an old cancer that had snuck up on them. 
He loved the stories. Then he told me a few sad stories. Ones of loss, and grief. He was moved by them, so was I. I try to remember to pray for those whose fight continues. Brave souls they are. 


As you can tell Ken was kind of happy on his last day. He was grins from ear to ear. The photo above is a picture of "Slim" the tec who gave him his last treatment. She was thrilled too. 

Ken told me a few days before the last treatment that he wanted to get "his girls" something nice as a thank you. He thought roses would be good. He had me call and order pink roses. I had them add greenery, and a pink bow. He wanted to make sure they had water, so we also added a tube for water for each. He got 12. He wanted to make sure he had enough for everyone. 

 I can't tell you the Joy it gave him to hand those roses out. They brought some extra smiles. I still think his was the largest. 

One of the girls waiting for her first treatment for a Tumor on her face remarked. "I hope I'm as happy the last day of treatment as that man is". I told her he was my husband and that I was sure she would be happy too. 


I took a photo of the certificate Ken got for completing treatment. It mentions courage, determination, and good nature. I never realized that it does take a great deal of courage and determination to walk through those doors and take the radiation, chemo or both. Like the Finns would say. It takes a whole lot of Sisu. 

I am so proud of those who determine to fight. Even when they tell us they are not sure it's helping. Even when the Dr. says they have to take another round of radiation and or chemo. Their courage and their Strength amazes me. 

The Dr. said there will be more tests and check ups. Ken will be seeing him at least twice a year for the next 5 yrs, but that's OK. that's easy. 

Today we celebrated. Today He is Victorious. Today HE WINS...