Thursday, April 26, 2012

Hard To Believe It All Started With The Yearly Checkup...


           It was time. Time for dragging Ken to the Dr.'s office for the yearly checkup. He hates going to the doctor. The only reason he goes is so he can get prescription refills. If they didn't make him do that once a year he would never go. It's never a good time for him so I make the appts. anyway. This year they were near the end of Feb. the 21st to be exact. You can see that it took me a while to get him to the doctor this year. We needed our refills and I wanted this all done so we could leave the first of March for Ky. I had plans and to wait any longer was just not possible.
      I encouraged him to get his " Welcome to Medicare" physical, but he was having none of it. So refills only it was. He did promise the Doc that he would come back in June to have that physical. The normal cursory exam stuff was preformed and we were off to the lab for blood work. We had our normal Celebratory breakfast and headed home. 
      The call came a few days later. Ken's PSA was elevated. They were referring him to a Urologist. Later that day we got a call from the Uro (I'm abbreviating it.) telling us standard procedure for the first visit was to do an ultra sound of the prostrate and a biopsy. 
      Our Trip to Ky. was postponed for a bit and we waited for the Uro visit on March 19th. We both kind of chuckled when we got to the office that day. A big room full of men. To be fair there were a few women there, but that day it was mostly men and they were all there for the same thing. None of them looked to happy or excited to be there. The Office staff was great and very efficient as was the Dr. The tests were done quickly and soon Ken appeared, a little wincey, but OK. As we were preparing to leave an elderly couple were heading for the door. The woman, who appeared to be at least 90, looked at her husband and said something hysterically funny. (sorry I can't remember it now) Husband and I tried not to blurt out laughing. As I glanced around that big room I noticed others had heard it too. It was a great stress reliever. We were told to expect a call sometime in the next 2 weeks with results. It didn't take that long. 
      The call came 3 days later on the 22nd of March. I had broken off a tooth the night before and spent 6 hrs. at the dentist office that day getting a cleaning, root canal, and a restoration. It wasn't a good day. When I got home Ken said the Uro had called. He had cancer. That was all he said. Then he sat silent for about 3 hours. I realized later that he was in shock and trying to wrap his head around what the Dr. had said. I was calming myself and making calls to the girls. I wanted to get my Prayer warriors praying for Ken, but first I had to tell our girls. I didn't want them hearing it from anyone but us. 
     They were difficult calls to make, but they were made. Prayer Warriors were notified, a few friends messaged. I prayed.. I prayed a lot those first 3 hours. I prayed for calm and peace for us both. I prayed for healing and for Salvation for Ken. I prayed that wonderful verse in Psalms.."Be Still, and know that I am God. "  psalm 46:10a. I have used that verse several times to remind me That He is God, and I can be calm and stand quietly knowing that He will take care of it all. 
      After those 3 hours Ken told me more of the conversation. He told me the Dr. said "it was early stage and very treatable and not to worry he would take care of it."  I told Ken, God would take care of it. I spoke it and knew as I said it that it was true. A peace and calm came over me that I still can not explain other then to say it was God. 
     Another apt. was made with the Uro. for April 12th to discuss options and such. By that time the Grandkids that were coming for dinner were told just in case grandpa talked about it. I didn't want sadness to permeate one of the few times we all can get together. Besides, We had our First Great Grandchild to meet and that could not be a sad day. We were to excited to be anything but bubbling with anticipation and excitement. A baby. woo hooo..  you can see him in a previous post.. http://maamawkaren.blogspot.com/2012/04/introducing-our-new-great-grandson-he.html 

     I will tell you know that I held my breath that day of the consult with the Uro. I did my homework. I googled everything I could find about prostrate cancer. I found charts and graphs and took out my legal pad and made notes. I wanted to make sure I understood everything we were going to be told and I wanted to be knowledgeable about options so I could ask good questions. I knew Ken would have a few questions too, but I wanted to make sure mine were answered too. I had told the girls about the consult and that it was open to the entire family if they wanted to attend. I also suggested they ask if their dad was OK with their attending before they came. They both decided to wait and just hear what the Dr. told us. 
     Holding my breath for 3 weeks was hard. I didn't really hold it all the time, but occasionally I would hold it for a few seconds if I thought about it. Instantly the peace and calm would come. So I waited. 
The day for the consult came. I didn't really start holding my breath until we were called back to the exam room. There was only one chair. The Dr. invited me to sit on the exam table. (which I did cause I felt so awkward) And then I really felt awkward. LOL  he told us about the Gleason score, and the options of surgery (which he does), robotic surgery (which a colleague of his does) and radiation. He explained to us about how age matters with treatment options and what happens if the cancer returns. He gave us statistics and answered all our questions. Ken chose Radiation, Surgery did not appeal to him for several reasons. 
     An Appointment was made with a Radiation Oncologist. The pages of paperwork were received, and I filled them out..  Feel Free to laugh here. I fill out all of Ken's paperwork. I ask him questions if I don't know the answer. He signs it. That's the way it works at our house. The appointment was made. April 25th. only a little over a week away. Good. The sooner the better. 
     So here we are in April and facing the apt. with an Oncologist. My next post will take us through the days before and that visit. I'm still feeling incredibly calm and at peace. I know it's God.