Sunday, September 6, 2009

Summer Festivals... What fun :-)

Summer Festivals and Fairs... What fun :-)

LOL This was a first for me.. This was my first Festival that offered Donkey rides for the kids.. How they lined up.. it was great.. Look at that face.. "the donkey face" that cute and adorable donkey face.. makes you just want to kiss that ole nose doesn't it.. LOL I love Donkey faces... they have character. I think it's because they are characters.. If you are wondering.. the owner of this little Donkey was very good about only letting a few kids take turns riding. Then "donkey" I didn't get his name.. was put up in the shade for rest and relaxing.. No donkey was harmed in the taking of this photo or in the riding.. Donkey rather looked like he was enjoying the whole thing.

This was just one of the "fun" things that could be done at the "annual festival". It takes place in a small town.. a really small town.. It was my first time at the festival.. The Lion's club puts it on every year... They have vendors set up.. I bought my "festival" T-shirt from one of them.. there were games set up for the kids, raffles.. you could win a TV or a lawnmower.. there were silent auctions, and raffles for stuff like Santa's and dinner for two at the "coon dog inn".. There was a pet show.. where kids showed off their pets.. a guinea pig was declared the winner.. there were tractor/train rides for the kids too.. I love those.. someone puts together a train that pulls cars that look like tractors.. There were softball tournaments in the early am.. and there was "gospel singing" in the evening.. There was even a booth set up where you could get information on "how to" submit your family history for a new book that will soon be printed .. This area was a very vital part of the region when the state was new... The local animal shelter was on hand with various ways you could donate to the shelter.

In case you wondered, there was festival food too.. yep, good ole' festival food.. there were funnel cakes.. they were yummy.. and ice cream.. But the hit of the festival.. what everyone in the area waits for.. was the BBQ.. there was BBQ chicken, ribs, and pork loin, pulled pork, and hot or mild sauce.. a plate lunch that included potato salad, bread, and a drink.. or just the sandwich.. Husband and I got the pork loin sandwich.. oh my goodness.. I now know why this festival is over 100 yrs. old.. it's the BBQ.. finger licking good doesn't even describe it.. you can watch the men back by the BBQ grill.. they smile and nod as you pass by.. you can ask, but you will never get the secret of their sauce or the special rub that has been used.. you can guess at what kind of wood they used to "smoke" the meat.. you may even get one of them to tell you how long the meat was on the "pit".. but that's all you'll know.. they will smile and nod.. that's all you'll get.. that and a Thank you mamm come on back ...

As I looked around that afternoon.. we only stayed a couple of hours, we were heading over to a big town.. for a festival and BBQ.. As I looked around, I noticed some other things.. things I liked.. Signs for all those running for public office.. hung around the grounds .. mostly by the food.. there were tents.. big tents.. donated by businesses that had their names on them.. one of the largest was from the local funeral home.. Everyone asked where we were from.. I guess it's cause if I open my mouth to speak well, it's obvious I'm not from around here.. very obvious.. We always find someone who is from our area of the mid-west.. it's kind of funny how many of us northerners have found our way to remote towns in the south.. Another observation.. Farmers.. lots of farmers.. young and old.. it's an agricultural area.. farms dot the landscape.. some small, some big.. but farms.. it wasn't like the city festivals I've attended.. no suits and ties, oh there was the occasional dress slacks and shirt.. I think it was someone running for office.. no, most were just "plain" folks.. jeans and work boots.. kids in tow.. excited for the fun.. excited to play ball, ride on the tractor train.. to eat a funnel cake.. play a game.. and ride a donkey.. plain folk, home folks.. folks who are neighbors.. and make even strangers in their midst feel like they belong... like they are Home...