Sunday, September 6, 2009

My Favorite Summer flowers...

Our New found treasure... Naked Ladies: a relative of Amaryllis

Our Mimosa Tree...

Some of my Favorite Summer flowers ...

In truth, I love flowers, I love the ones that pop their little heads up out of the snow in the early spring, like the snow crocus.. I love the ones that are all bright and happy in the spring when the grass and the trees are still looking dead and blah.. my daffodils, and paper whites, the tulips, and phlox, also the forsythia, ya, I know they aren't flowers per say, but flowering bushes.. and who could leave out the red buds, and dog wood (trees) I love the flowering quince bushes too.. I love the ones that pop open when the weather has warmed up, like the wild rose bushes, peonies, and the heavy scents of the magnolia... The lilacs, petunias, sweet pea, phlox, bridals wreath, gladiolas, iris, oh and the Lilly's who could forget the Lilly's the wild orange ones that decorate my ditch banks, and the beautiful hybrid colors of pink, maroon, yellow, red, and well just let your imagination run wild..

the photo above is of my Mimosa tree.. I love the soft white/pink/yellow puffie-ness of those flowers.. the humming birds love them too.. :-)
You will also see the newest addition to our flower beds, Naked Ladies... I can't remember the official name.. oh yes, Belladonna Lillys, part of the Amaryllis family.. We had never seem them before. Husband planted them about 4 years ago at the urging of a friend. We just saw the big bulbs then and planted them. In the early spring, they are all green foliage. But we never knew if they ever bloomed. This spring, in my frantic 'chop it out cause it's taking over" daze, I ripped the stuff out by the handfuls. It never bloomed, just filled up the bed.. Well to my absolute horror, I discovered the pink Lilly looking plant you see in the first photo.. absolutely breathtaking.. I'm so glad they are bulbs and I was to lazy to walk to the barn and get my shovel. Apparently the greenery grows up and is all full.. then dies all the way down to the ground.. my flowers are in the flower beds so it's harder to see the flowers and what they do, but in town I saw these planted in the middle of the yard.. the green foliage dies away.. and up comes a single stalk.. on that stalk is the flower you see above.. seemingly to appear from nowhere. absolutely breath taking.. I have begged their forgiveness and plan on trying to set some out where they will do better.. they need full sun..
The other flowers I love are my Rose of Sharon, yes, they are bushes.. sorry, I have lots of flowering bushes.. there are lots of them.. white with pale purple innards, bright pinks that are double, yellow, lavender and the like.. I have about 15 bushes of them. The Ice storm this past January really wreeked havoc on them. The largest one.. about 20+ feet tall and at least 15 feet wide.. was bent with ice so severely that the branches never were able to straighten themselves. So the look was a huge gaping hole where the middle of the upright bush should have been and then the branches going out from each side.. The Crepe Myrtle also suffered from the ice along with the trees.. I did get a few photos of the Myrtles.. they were not a lovely as they have been in the past.. I did find an article on how to prune them properly, so will have husband do so this spring.. it will give them optimal blooming help.. We haven't pruned them for the last few years and it shows.. I love their flowers.. they are like big tufts of cotton candy..
Yep, I love to look at the summer flowers blooming.. they fill the air at night with a heavy scent of summer.. along with the night bug sounds.. it's perfect..
I'm looking forward to our fall flowers, I don't think I have many, maybe none.. it's been a while since I've been down to enjoy them.. I can't wait to see my new tree and it's fall color.. I'm hoping it will be vibrant.. Fall will be upon us before we know it.. cooler days, crisp air, the smell of apple cider, pumpkins and Indian corn along with gourds and pine cones adorning our porches and railings. There will be leaves to rake.. so we can jump in them.. and the smell of burning leaves. soon the bon-fires will warm us.. I'm already planning on pulling my chair a little closer to the fire.. I've found the hot cocoa and the marshmallows.. I think I'll need them soon.. I also saw the first gallons of apple cider in the grocery store..
yummm hot cider and cinnamon sticks..