Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Stump has flowers...

As some of you may know, We've had a Disaster Recovery Crew here cleaning up Storm debris from the huge Ice Storm of Jan. The storm covered about 930 miles, stretching from Arkansas through Kentucky and into parts of Tn. It has devastated the trees in most of Ky.

I read in *The Crittenden Press Online (http://crittendenpress.blogspot.com/) "A U.S. Forest Service official says as much as 10,000 acres of the heavily wooded Land Between the Lakes public forest may have been severely damaged by the January ice storm.Trent Girard, leader of a U.S. Forest Service team assessing damage in the forest, says the northern end of the peninsular public area got the worst of the damage.The Paducah Sun reports that some concerns about the ice storm damage include potential access issues, weakening of trees' resistance to insect attack and potential of fire danger because of broken limbs drying and deteriorating on the forest floor. But LBL spokeswoman Kathryn Harper says on the plus side, the downed limbs could be benefiting wildlife foraging at ground level, as well as allowing in more sunlight to spur the new growth of oak and hickory trees."

The Damage has been unreal.. The crew spent a few days cleaning the limbs and damaged trees out of the state right of way.. one of the Trees that had to be taken down was this old Cedar that sat next to our driveway. You can see from the picture above, that one of the limbs fell and dented in the gate..

The Tree was rotten through the center. I wanted to save the stump and grow some flowers in it.. I got a few suggestions from friends and decided to plant something that was trailing so it would cascade down the sides of the stump.. I headed out to the local Wal-mart. The plants were picked over, so the wave Petunias I wanted, were gone. I bought Moss Phlox aka: creeping phlox. they won't need much tending and should fill in the top of the stump and trail down the sides. I just got two clumps for this year. I figured I'll see how it grows, and then can add more next year or plant something else if it doesn't work out. I can't wait to see how it does.. I'm hoping we can come back for a visit later this fall.
I also planted my "moon Flower" vine.. not in the place I wanted, but our time is limited and Husband doesn't have time to build another trellis.. so I put it on an old fence post near the stump.. I'm using string to tie it to the post. Hopefully it will climb up the post.. it's an annual so I'll have to replant later.. the phlox I planted in the stump is a perennial.. My favorite kind of flowers. I love to stick it in the dirt and then be done with it..
I have another stump.. It is not hollow, so I'll have to think of something to plant in a pot.. I was going to do it this time, but was told someone driving by would just stop and take the pot and all home with them.. that's true.. so I'll have to figure something out.
I wish they could have cut the stump in the form of a chair/seat.. So many sat under it's shade, husband included.. I may see if Husband can figure out how to make a bench out of it..
I'm so glad we will still have a part of our trees left to enjoy.
Posted by Picasa