Monday, May 18, 2009

One Determined Bird...


This is a new friend.. I haven't named him.. that's odd because I usually name all the little creatures that continually visit us.
Maybe I'll call him Al.. Al is cool.. He has a beautiful song. He sits right out back. As you can see from the picture, he sits pretty close to the window.. as a matter of fact, he comes right up to the window.. he fights himself/his reflection in the glass. He has figured out how to grab on to the side of the window that I keep open.. he has started to sit and peck on the glass, so I quit putting the screen down..
He is one determined bird... He will fight himself in the window from dawn until dusk. Every few minutes you can hear him hit the window.. then he'll sit next to it and peck on the glass... He's been doing it everyday for almost 3 weeks. He is determined.. Now I have really thought about his determination.. He's singing.. so I'm thinking he's looking for a girlfriend... he will sit in the tree and eat.. then head for the window again..
I wonder if sometimes we are like Al.. there are good points to be determined.. He has an attitude of never giving up.. he is determined to defeat the bird in the window.. sometimes having that "never give up, never give in" attitude is what we need..
some examples would be during an illness, working to meet a goal.. etc.. However.. there have been a few times when I've asked Al a question... " How stupid are you?" he keeps beating himself , I mean literally throwing himself against the window every few minutes all day.. I guess he's done it 100's of times.. I know it has to be painful.. but he just doesn't get it.. He makes no progress.. but doesn't realize that the bird he sees in the window does not exist.. Sometimes when things aren't working out the way we want, we need to step back.. grab a limb so to speak.. and look at the problem.. the way Al approaches the bird in the window.. is not getting the results he wants.. he wants that bird gone.. He needs to use a new approach.. but he just doesn't get it...
Am I ever like that? Do I ever get so focused on a task, that I keep throwing myself against the window... but because I won't try another approach, I don't ever get anywhere.. Do I ever sit on another branch and ponder the problem from a new perspective..
Do I ask for help? Another person may have a new insight into my old problem.. maybe that had the same problem and found a way around it..
Determination can be a great thing.. We just need to make sure if we are throwing ourselves against the window.. we are making some progress toward a goal..
Posted by Picasa