Tuesday, November 26, 2013

We're On A Roll....


Some of you have asked for the Pumpkin Roll Recipe I am using. Here it is. I got it from my dear friend Cindy. It's really yummy. The recipe is a bit long and I really didn't know how to explain the "rolling the cake in the towel" part. so I'm also including a short Video I found on YouTube.  Enjoy !!!




Pumpkin Rolls.... 
preheat the oven to 350 degrees
you need to prep your pan/pans first. I used 2 small cookie sheets. you can also use a full size sheet pan. either will work fine. then use parchment paper or wax paper to line the pan/pans.
get out your electric hand mixer or your stand mixer. 


1- cup white sugar
2/3- cup canned pumpkin
3- eggs
 put in a mixing bowl and beat together for 5 minutes until light and very fluffy. * I use a hand mixer and tilt the bowl some toward me. so that the beaters pick up some air along with mixture. you'll know by the air bubbles if you are doing it right.. 


then add 3/4 cup of self rising flour 
1- teaspoon cinnamon
mix until well blended. 

pour the mixture onto your prepared cookie sheet/sheets. 
** If you use 2 small cookie sheets try to put an equal amount on each sheet. it doesn't look like it will work, but it does.. :D 

Bake about 13-15 min. the cake should feel spongy. 
remove from oven and cool in the pan.. 
It should be cool to the touch in about 20-30 minutes.. 

** while you are waiting prepare your towels.  tea towels only.. the ones that have no nap/fuzz. flour sack cloth works well too.  Spread it out on the counter and sprinkle with powdered sugar. make sure you sift the powdered sugar on so there are no hard pieces. 

Remove the cake from the pan. I just used the edges of the parchment paper and carried it to the towel. I then turned the cake over on top of the towel. * make sure the towel is smooth. 
CAREFULLY remove the parchment paper. do it very slowly. 

I like to roll mine from the short side, but you could do it from the long side if you wanted to. carefully roll the towel up.. and  let cool another 15 minutes.  

Make the filling.. 

1- 8oz box cream cheese softened.. 
2- Tablespoons soft butter
1- teaspoon vanilla
1- cup powdered Sugar
mix w/ hand mixer until Frosting consistency..  

Make sure the roll is completely cool, Unroll the towel. 
spread on the filling almost to the end of each side. 
now re-roll the cake in the same direction you did at first.. 

I have placed the finished roll  in plastic wrap.. but I don't like the way it works..  I tried using wax paper and then wrapped it in foil.. you can refrigerate it or store in the freezer..  :D 

for a similar recipe and to see how to roll the cake in the towel   Watch this quick you tube video..