Friday, December 6, 2013

A Lesson Remembered At Walmart...


O Come All Ye Faithful....

It was another busy day today. I had to pick up a the last 3 gifts on my list, I had to go to 2 different stores before I could find one of them. I had to pick up some antibiotics for Hubby. Then I had to run home, unload the truck, and head out to grab a friend for our trip to Sams Club to pick up a few more baking goodies. 

My list was full and I was already tired. I hadn't even washed the dishes from 2 days ago. I haven't done laundry for 2 weeks, I haven't watched the videos for the new sound system at Church and I have to run the sound this Sunday. I haven't made any cookies. I haven't mailed my grandson's Christmas gift to Hawaii. I haven't gotten out the tree or the other decorations. I haven't changed out the everyday dishes to my favorite Snowman dishes. I haven't sent out my Christmas cards. * I did make some photo cards for the family that hubby didn't like. apparently I was suppose to get his OK first. 

I'm running and running and I'm tired. My list of "things to do" is so un-done. 

I decided to head to Walmart after leaving the mall. I only had to look for a gift card and buy some treats for the dogs. We're almost out and I don't want to run out of them before the end of the month. I parked and literally ran, well I kind of hobble along quickly, toward the door.. 

oh goodness. Another one of those Salvation Army red kettles. I love the Salvation Army. I always give a bit here and there throughout the season. As I started to dig through my purse for some loose bills. I hear it. He's singing. That big and I mean tall and stocky, Flannel shirt wearing, Santa hat bobbing man is singing. 

I finally get close enough to hear him and it stops me in my tracks. It was one of the purest and sweetest voices I've ever heard. I really hadn't expected that from that "hunting bears with a switch" man. I slowed a bit and stopped looking for my money. I immediately recognized the song he was singing."Oh come all ye Faithful". It stopped me in my tracks. The tears started to fall. and my heart cried out.. "Oh come let us adore Him". 

Oh my, I had once again let my plans, my lists of things to do, and my Christmas, fog up the real reason I love Christmas so. It's that King of Angels that I love. I had shoved that baby back to the bottom of the list. I had made everything else a priority. 

As I got to that wonderful big man. I was sobbing. He broke into a smile that brightened my very soul. I hugged him and thanked him for his song. He gave me a wonderful huge hug. I swear he was an angel God placed there just for me.  I walked through the store thanking God for reminding me the reason I celebrate Christmas. It's that Baby Jesus. 

4 yrs. ago I first wrote of how easy it is for me to get all into "the preparation" for Christmas without a thought of the Love that came to earth that night over 2000 yrs. ago. (you can read it here

I still have some Christmas preparations to make, gifts to wrap, the tree to put up, gifts to mail etc. But I can tell you I'm going to be singing with joy and praise about that baby that came.

 I hope you join with me. You may not feel like celebrating. You may have suffered great loss of some kind. I've heard several of my friends say how they just can't feel any Christmas spirit. You may not feel it either, But I ask you to remember the Love that God showed us that night.. The first and greatest gift ever given. His only son Jesus. He sent Him to earth to be your Savior. 

come on,  sing with me..   

O come all ye faithful
Joyful and triumphant
O come ye, o come ye to Bethlehem
Come and behold Him
Born the King of angels
oh, come let us adore Him
Oh, come let us adore Him
Oh, come let us adore Him
Christ the Lord...