Monday, December 21, 2009

Today I Remembered Why I Love Christmas...


Today I finally slowed down for a few minutes.. well, to be honest, I slowed down for the day.. Today I again remembered why I LOVE Christmas. This seems to happen every year. Some years I remember sooner.. some years later.. but This year it was today.. or rather it was yesterday.. Sunday.. the day of our Christmas/Worship service at Church. There will be a Christmas eve service.. I really want to try and be there, but the Sunday before Christmas is usually the only Christmas service I get to attend. We have husbands family Party on Christmas eve..

OK, back to why I Love Christmas... It's all about that Baby.. 

 This year I got busy.. seems like I got busy way back in October, and just got all busy with preparations for Christmas.. goodness knows WE MUST PREPARE... and being the woman/mom/wife/preparer... it is my job to get the lists going.. lists of who wants what for Christmas, when are we gathering, where are we gathering, lists of friends and family and gifts we want to buy or make for them, lists of parties, and outings, class get-togethers, and meetings.. lists of food to buy, food to cook, food to bake, and take..

 then there is the actual going out and buying the gifts, wrapping, and oh my goodness decorating,, but first there is the cleaning.. then decorating.. Where to put the stuff that must be moved... how do I accommodate 10 people for dinner at the table that seats 4... who works, what time?.. 

then there are the birthdays.. more gifts, boxes, bags..what restaurant are we going to, then there are all the things I want to do for others.. the good things, the wonderful things.. there are Christmas clothes to get ready.. Preparation..

Then there are the things we can't prepare for... some good, some not so good.. stress, illness, surprise gatherings, forgotten meetings, family turmoil, short bouts of grief for those no longer with us, forgotten ingredients, menu changes, gathering changes, and not enough hours in the day..

There always seems to be so much I want to do.. so many activities I want to participate in that just don't work out.. I want to start making beautiful Christmas gifts in January.. and have them done in Nov.. stuff like homemade Christmas stockings for each grandchild. I managed to get one done out of the 5 I have always wanted to do.. there would be quilts for each child and grandchild.. (I'm still working on the quilt that our youngest daughter was getting for graduation.. she is 36.. oops)

I want to cross stitch wonderful things for each friends walls.. take awesome pictures and make everyone a 12 month calender with a beautiful photo on each month.. 
(I didn't even manage a photo Christmas card this year) 

 I want to have 100 Christmas shoe boxes done for Samaritans' Purse "Christmas shoe box program"..(I did 2) I want to give $500 to Missions work, and the Salvation Army.. (I gave what I could when I could) 

 I want my house to look like a Christmas wonderland, and smell like one too..
 (it looks and smells, but I'm not quite sure like what) 

 I want the perfect tree and the presents under it to be perfectly wrapped with bows I make myself.. (I'm seriously thinking at this point about just tossing each gift in a wal-mart bag and calling it good)

 I want to show up to every party I wish to attend perfectly primped and dressed to the 9's... 

(I noticed at Church yesterday morning that my black pants looked like I'd rolled in lint.. and my really cool Christmas knitted vest has loose strings.. loose strings should NEVER be cut on a knitted vest.. cause when you get home you are unraveling)..

 I was unraveling.. I do it every year..

My stuff, My plans, just never seem to work out.. I try.. I really do.. and I do get a lot of things done. Oh my, I just noticed my Christmas soap dispensers are sitting on the back porch.. I can see them from here.. oh well... see, Not prepared... how will life go on with no Santa soap dispenser in the bathroom... ??????

So you see while making lists, and trying to Prepare for Christmas.. I just end up getting unraveled.. I'm still missing the Miracle whip after 85 trips last week to the grocery store.. I am still short on a gift or two.. and am going to rob Peter to make Paul happy.. A family turmoil is in the works and I'm trying to figure out how I will handle it with Love, patience, and forgiveness.. I'm unraveling.. rather quickly these last few days.
.
So when I got to Church yesterday.. Sunday.. the day of Christmas music and special Worship.. (I sing in the Choir and we were participating in a mini Christmas musical program) I was linty and unraveling... physically and mentally..

then I remembered, as I sang, just why I LOVE Christmas..

It's that Baby... It's Jesus.. It's all about Him... It's ALL about celebrating the birth of My Savior.. My King, My Redeemer, My Deliverer, My Rock, My Provider, My Firm Foundation, My Source, My Comfort, My Joy, My Peace... It's ALL about that Baby...

Today.. my list is still full of things to do.. I may get them all done, probably not.. but it's OK.. cause yesterday I remembered that Christmas is NOT about gifts, boxes, bags, dinners, meetings, gatherings, parties, decorations, or Clothes.. It's ALL about the BABY JESUS...

Yesterday, I remembered.. and relaxed.. I read the paper, watched my Favorite Christmas movie, ate some Popcorn and recalled the morning Worship Service.. I remembered my favorite thing about Christmas is Jesus.. 

 so my gift to you dear reader, Is Jesus.. cause when we take away all the stuff... there would be No Christmas without Jesus.

For There is born to you this day, in the city of David
a Savior who is Christ The Lord. Luke 2:11
She shall bring forth a son, and you shall call his name Jesus.
For He shall save his people from their sins. Matthew 1:21