Thursday, December 10, 2009

Time To Make Some Christmas Cookies...

this photo is of My favorite Cookie making bowl.. My parents had it long before I came along. whenever it was cookie making day, mom would take out this old bowl and we knew cookies were coming..


Oh My Yes.... It's Time to Make Some Christmas cookies.. The other day I read a post that asked about your favorite Christmas cookie.. I loved the answer of one person who stated" I love the ones with sprinkles and icing, and nuts, and raisins, and chocolate... oh I love them All " LOL my sentiments exactly.. I love them all.. the simple sugar cookies, to the fancy, takes half a day to shape them, cookies.. I thought I would share one of my favorite Christmas cookie recipes with you today.. I love them.. I started making them as a young girl at home.. they are my husbands favorites.. I won't make them today. I still have way to much stuff that needs to be finished today.. but this weekend.. Yes, this weekend the pots and pans, bowls and beaters, will come out.. the counter will be layered with chocolate chips, maraschino cherries, flour, sugar, measuring cups and spoon... with nuts, and all forms of cookie type decorations.. This weekend will start my Cookie baking... the big ones, small ones.. the bars, and stars.. the dipped in chocolate, rolled in powdered sugar ones.. then the candy making will start.. but wait.. we'll leave that for another day.. today I'm thinking Cookies.... warm out of the oven.. Cookies...
My husbands favorite..

Cherry Winks:
preheat oven 375..
  • 2 - 1/2 cups sifted flour.. I use self rising.. (if you use self rising you may omit the baking powder, baking soda, and the salt.)
  • 1- tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 - tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2- tsp. salt
  • 3/4- cup softened butter (margarine is fine)
  • 1- cup white sugar
  • 2- eggs-beaten
  • 2- Tablespoons milk
  • 1- tsp. vanilla
  • 1- cup chopped walnuts
  • 1- cup finely chopped and pitted dates (optional)
  • 1/3- cup finely chopped maraschino cherries
  • 2- 1/2- cups of corn flakes crushed
  • 12- maraschino cherries cut into quarters.

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and Set aside.. in a large bowl blend butter, sugar. add eggs and stir well. Stir in the milk and vanilla. add the dry ingredients and mix, then add the nuts, chopped dates, and chopped cherries and mix well.

Crush the Corn flakes.. I do it in a Ziploc gallon bag and use a rolling pin.. make sure they are crushed. then pour them in a bowl.

shape the dough into balls and roll in the crushed corn flakes. place on a greased baking sheet. then place 1/4 cherry piece on the top of each cookie.

bake at 375 for about 12 minutes or until the cookies are a light golden brown. remove to a cooling rack to cool completely. store in an airtight container. if you have trouble removing the cookies from the sheet, allow them to cool for a couple of minutes then try again.

take two warm cookies, get a big glass of cold milk.. and enjoy..

Merry Christmas.. Let's make some Cookies...