Friday, January 4, 2013

This Is Kind Of Fun..

Otis Jan. 4th. 

I didn't sleep well last night so I was up at 5:00 am. Unheard of if you are retired. I watched a couple of TV shows and laid back down around 7ish. I woke up it was almost 9:30.. horrifying. My wildlife crew were waiting for me. I'm usually out and have filled up the feeders and bowls by 8:30. 

Otis is a funny thing. He isn't as hungry as scruffy and scrappy. He decided this morning to take the peanuts and bury them in the snow. I tried to snap a few photos of that but with the digital and the time delay I just couldn't manage it. It was funny to see him bury each one in the snow, then sit and wipe off his face. I never realized until the last few weeks how much squirrels wipe their faces. They use both front paws/hands and rub from front to back several times. LOL Almost as though they are slicking back their hair. Hmmm maybe they are.. anyway. Otis spent his peanut time burying them. 


Scrappy Jan 4th

On the other hand, Scrappy, ate everything he found. If you look closely you will see that Scrappy is missing some fur. The fur around his back end is longer. Scruffy has no hair except for tufts here and there and his tail. At first we were concerned this was mange. Nasty and very contagious. When I realized that Scruffy was not the only squirrel with the condition it really made us concerned. I was hoping for a severe flea infestation, and only for the reason that with the cold the fleas would die and the squirrels would get back their coats and be normal looking again. The hair seems to be growing back well. So we are hoping Scruffy's is also. I've not seen him for a day or so. He is smaller then the other squirrels and they chase him constantly. I wish I could make him a little squirrel sweater so he would be warm. I know, I just think stuff like that sometimes. I'm hoping to see him later today. He shows up after the other squirrels leave. 


This is Tank.. 

As you can see Tank has ample fat supplies for this winter. He was the first squirrel I saw at our feeders. I haven't seen him lately. I think because he's so fat he can't waddle over here through the snow. I took this photo of him in Nov. I'm not worried about him a bit. He fits right in with this family for sure. 

I think I see Milo, Otis' brother/maybe sister, he is a tail waver. His tail waves a mile a minute. I'm sure it's some kind of communication system. I know squirrels will chatter at you when you tick them off, or irritate them. Milo seems to be irritated a lot. He may be the main guard squirrel. 

Hmmm I've been watching "Amish Mafia" I wonder if there is a Squirrel Mafia.. Tank is the head guy, then Milo and Otis are the security team. Leaving Scruffy and Scrappy to keep other intruding squirrels away from the peanuts. LOL  I'll leave that all for you to mull over. Squirrel Mafia or Not, I really enjoy watching all the birds and squirrels come in and enjoy the snack. I know Scruffy sits and eats till it's all gone. He is so hungry. I'm glad we decided to feed them this year. You may want to make one of your "photo A Day" ideas some of your local wildlife. Family pets, birds, livestock. all would make a great project for a week or a month of photos. It's great fun and relaxing to watch them too. Hope you have fun and relax today too..