Thursday, December 6, 2012

Family Recipes Make Wonderful Holiday Memories...

Uncle Ralph and Aunt Ellen Pennala Christmas 1990

Today granddaughter Marisa and I are going to make some Candy and cookies for Christmas. I love to make an assortment of goodies to share with family and friends. I also like to keep a few tasties on hand in case we have company. Every great cup of coffee or hot chocolate needs a cookie. 

I got out the recipe box and started perusing for my favorites. I take requests from the grandkids too. As I looked through those worn and yellowed recipe cards I am reminded of so many memories of cooking or eating these same recipes with family and friends. Each recipe whether scribbled on a piece of paper or typed neatly on a beautiful recipe card is so very special. 

Food has always been a connector for me. Just like photographs, those recipes take me back to a time and place where the family shared food and fun. I loved to sit and listen to the stories remembered and retold around the kitchen table. 

Many of those same family members are no longer here to share those memories, stories, laughter, and food, but oh a trip through my recipe box brings those dear ones back to me once again. 

I'm going to share a recipe from my Aunt Ellen Pennala or "grandma Pennala" as some of you will remember her. I can look at this picture and hear her laughter, See her smile, and feel her wonderful soft face. There was always a hug waiting for us in those arms. Truly a women who loved her Savior Jesus and her family with her whole heart. 

I remember Christmas at her house. The adults sat at the large kitchen table. the kids at smaller tables out in the "breezeway" type room that held the piano. I think all us kids pounded on that old piano and sang away. 
Wonderful food was shared. Did I tell you how I can still hear her calling my name and I can still feel those arms hug me tight. 

Today I'm remembering Auntie Ellen and sharing one of her recipes with you. I hope you will try it. Share it with your family and friends. Make sure you Laugh, hug, and tell some stories. It's the best way to make heart memories with those you love.... 

Oatmeal Cookies
by:
Ellen Regina Narhi Pennala

1-cup Shortening
1/2- cup Butter (the real stuff) 
1- cup brown sugar
1- cup white sugar
3- eggs beaten
1-teaspoon salt
1- teaspoon baking soda
1-teaspoon cinnamon
1/2-cup milk
2-cups all purpose flour
4-cups Oatmeal
1-teaspoon Vanilla

preheat oven 350 degrees

** the directions are mine, Aunt Ellen didn't give me any directions 
except to mix it all up and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or till lightly brown. 

Cream the shortening, butter, and sugars together well. 
then add the beaten eggs.
Mix well. 
add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. 
drop by teaspoonful onto well greased cookie sheet. 
** you can use spray like Pam
flatten with a fork
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until lightly brown
cool for a couple of minutes on the pan, then remove to a rack to finish cooling. 

Enjoy with a nice big glass of milk..