Saturday, July 4, 2009

I'm A Yankee Doodle Dandy...




I'm a yankee Doodle Dandy, Yankee Doodle do or die. A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam's, Born on the 4th of July."  Well born in March. 
I find that as I become Older; I'm more and more aware of all that Living in a Free country means. I hear it said a lot these days. "Freedom Isn't Free". I've learned over the past few years how very true that statement is.
A few years ago I found myself writing a letter to the Troops I had adopted from the Troop Support group I belong to. Over the years I've tweaked it for the passing of time, but it still conveys what's in my heart. It's as true today as it was then.  If you are serving, or have served, in the Military; this Thank You is also for you. Grab your coffee, your Flag, and let your eyeballs get a little wet. 

~~~ Dear Marine, Soldier, Sailor, Airmen, Guardsman, 
"Oh say can you see by the dawn's early light what so proudly we hail at the twilight's last gleaming". This is one of my favorite Patriotic songs. I was just listening to my favorite Patriotic Music CD and started to tear up a little. You may not know this, but I'm a big Crier and as usual I started to tear up just a little. You see I think the Flag and what it stands for becomes more and more precious to me.

I remember as a little girl seeing it in my kindergarten classroom at school. Every day our Teacher would show us how to hold our little hand over our hearts and then we would say the Pledge Of Allegiance. I was so proud that I was one of the first ones to memorize it. 

Later, as a teenager, I would stand with my Papa and singing at the top of my lungs, "The Star Spangled Banner" at the Detroit Tiger baseball games. Hand over my heart watching my Papa with his hat and hand over his heart. He told my brother, Keith, and I how it was very improtant to always show the up most respect for our Flag and the Freedom it represented.

Years passed and I didn't think much about freedom or the flag. Then my grandmother died. Grandpa had died when I was little. I received the letters he wrote home to his Father and brothers during the first World war. I read each one. How precious they were. Then, A new thought. My Grandpa had been in the war. He hadn't gone overseas, the war had ended just as he had been scheduled to leave. Still, my Grandpa had served our Country and Stood beside the Flag. He conveyed over and over in each letter the pride he felt serving his community and his Country. 

I later married. My husband Ken was a Vietnam Vet. I never knew what that meant until I experienced his first nightmare, the startled looks when a firecracker went off, the anxiety he felt when there were to many people and no wall to keep his back against. I came to understand more at a reunion with 2 of the men Ken served with in the Jungles of Vietnam. That day was when I realized that war forges a bond of brotherhood that can never be broken. And I also realized that the Soldier can leave the war, but the war never leaves them.

Later I watched as three of our Nephews joined the Military. They were making a career of it. We were so proud of them. There was the Flag right next to them in those photos they take in Boot camp. We had other photos like that. Ken's brothers and a few cousins. All Served.

A few more years passed, and I heard that my cousin Tommy was in the Marines, and his brother Greg was serving in the Navy. We all talked about how great it was for them to the training and the schooling that the Military offers. 
Then the Gulf war began. Tommy was sent to the Gulf. His wife, and both families were planning a huge "Welcome Home" party. So was the community of Milford Mi; where Tom had been in contact with one of the elementary school classes there. Tommy came home, but not to a party. 

Lance Cpl. Thomas Robert Tormanen made the ultimate sacrifice. The Flag covered his casket and was gently folded and given by a "Grateful Nation" to his widow and infant son. 

Now that old Flag had the Blood of one of mine. Those red stripes were more then just a colored piece of cloth. They were a sacrifice that was very real to me. The letters from Tommy to the class at the elementary school in Milford were full of stories and always included how important fighting for our Freedom was to him.

Time moved on and a New Flag emerged for me. That Flag was raised by some Fire Fighters after Sept. 11th. I was honored to become part of a group who sewed one of the Nation's largest flags as a memorial to all the people who had lost their lives in terror attacks. The Flag is now displayed at a memorial museum in Oklahoma City. I stitched 4 squares each holding a name for that Flag. 2 from the Towers and 2 from the USS COLE. 

Then came Iraq and Afghanistan and I was able to fold little pocket flags for our Troop boxes along with others who are members of the Troop Support group I belong to. I've been honored to be part of dozens of things our community has done to show love and support to our American Heroes; Our Troops. 

There was yet another Flag photo for me to see. My brother enlisted in the Army when he was almost 30. We joked that boot camp would probably kill him. LOL  It didn't. He was assigned to a Calvary unit and was deployed to Iraq twice. A photo of him next to that Precious Flag sits in my home and is on a pin I often wear.

Not long ago I stood outside a Funeral home holding our Flag in Honor of another of our Heroes who had made the Ultimate Sacrifice. I looked at one of the other Flags that was being held that day. The breeze had caught if just right, and the sun was shining on it . My eyeballs got all wet and I got all filled up with pride. that old Flag, those stars and stripes, they have come to mean the world to me. They remind me that I am Free and it also reminds me there is a cost for that Freedom.

I just want to thank you for your service and for the sacrifices that you are making everyday. They do not go unnoticed. ~~~ 

I know we all have our stories and memories of our Flag and those who have served under it. I hope today you remember those stories. Share them with someone. Then look at our Flag, and let your eyeballs get a little wet. Remember the Vision that our Forefathers had to make a Nation that was Free. Remember those who gave Everything they had to make that dream a reality.

Today Say a prayer for our Troops. Thank God for our Flag, our Country and our Freedom. 
God Bless America and God Bless you.....