Thursday, April 17, 2014

Holy Week Pt 3. The Garden Awaits...






Matthew 26:30
"30 When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives."
   I love this verse. Jesus sang. I'm not sure what they sang. It could have been the Lord's prayer, or some other song that was traditionally sung during Passover. With all that was yet to come Jesus sang. I believe it lifted not only his heart but those of the disciples. They were soon going to need that encouragement. 

 "39 Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him."  Luke 22:39 NIV 
     From this verse it seem like this wasn't anything new for Jesus. I don't know if it was his usual practice only at passover, or if it was his usual practice when he was in Jerusalem. Either way Jesus and his disciples set out heading for the Mt. of Olives. 

The garden they would come to was at the base of the mt. Again I try to envision this walk. I don't know if it was just down the road from where the group had celebrated the passover meal, or if it was a long enough walk to settle the food in their stomachs and give them a bit of exercise. Did the disciples talk among themselves? I think so. I think Jesus was silent on the walk. Already in prayer with his Father about all that was being set into motion. I imagine his thoughts were deep, and he was silent. 

We know from the Bible accounts that Jesus told a few of the disciples to sit and pray. He specifically said for them to pray that they wouldn't fall into temptation. He already knew the temptations of that night and the days ahead that they would all face. He wanted them to be ready. Then we walked a little farther.. 

Matthew 26:36-38  "37 He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled. 38 Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”  

I like to poo poo the disciples who couldn't stay wake to pray with Jesus when he was so obviously hurting and troubled. Then I think I would have been just like them. How many times have I seen someone burdened with something and turned the other way so I could avoid them. How many times have I said "sure I'll pray for you about that"  and never thought of them or the request again. Way to many times.  

39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.”


I don't know about you, but I try not to sweat. I've done a lot of it outside in the summer in the vegetable garden, and working in our yard in Ky. I have never been so focused on anything that I sweat large drops of water let alone blood. Jesus did some earnest praying that day. Praying that there could be another way of Salvation for mankind. Praying that he could endure what was to come. Praying not my will but your will. I could stay here and talk about this all day.. but time is moving and there is more to come on this night.


40 Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. “Couldn’t you men keep watch with me for one hour?” he asked Peter. 41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
42 He went away a second time and prayed, “My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done.”
43 When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. 44 So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing.
45 Then he returned to the disciples and said to them, “Are you still sleeping and resting? Look, the hour has come, and the Son of Man is delivered into the hands of sinners. 46 Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!” 
Matthew 26: 40-46 NIV