Thursday, April 17, 2014

Holy Week - 2. The Last Supper




As I continue to think about the last week of Christ I am drawn to that last supper. The actual Passover meal that would be celebrated again this year as in the past. We know Jesus' ministry lasted about 3 yrs.  I'm no Bible scholar, but I'm guessing that these same 12 disciples had celebrated that Passover 2 times previously. 

The Bible tells us that Jesus sent the disciples out into Jerusalem to make preparations for the meal. (Luke 22: 7-23) I can almost see them getting ready to celebrate yet another Passover with "The Master". Looking for that perfect place for the dinner. We know Jesus sent them to find a certain man who would have a private upper room that would be prepared for them. 

 I can just imagine them making sure the food was purchased and double checking that the good plates were used, and that someone to clean up was hired. I wonder if a couple of them were sent out to the "Store" to choose the wine, and make sure the best Passover bread was purchased. 

This photo comes from the center for Judaic studies and shows what the Passover table would have looked like 
you can see more here.

Only Jesus knew this Passover meal would be different, special, and remembered by all Believers for all the generations to come. I believe Jesus already knew the conversations that would take place. The way His disciples would lean in to hear Him speak about His body and blood, and the mention of a new covenant. 

I can only imagine the questioning looks as Jesus reveals that He knows that He is about to be betrayed by Judas, and how it broke his heart to know one of his closest friends had plotted with his enemies and it would lead to his death. Talk about the betrayal of a friend. Jesus knew that pain well.


One of my favorite parts is that Jesus takes time before the meal starts to wash his disciples' feet. I think that maybe a servant had been dispatched by the owner of the house to do this task. I can just see Jesus telling him "I've got this covered" and sending him back to his master. Then Jesus, the very Son of God. removed his robe, girded his loins, took the bowl and the water and washed the feet of his beloved disciples. 

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have wanted to wash any of those feet. As I said I'm not a Bible scholar, I may have the timing of this off, but I know feet. Feet aren't pretty. They tend to stink and look all yukky. Back in those days I just imagine that those feet were covered by well worn sandals. Those feet were dirty, maybe even filthy just like our sin filled hearts. I would have been one who begged Jesus to just "skip it". I'll do my own feet washing thank you. 

I know that Jesus would have told me like he did Peter. "Unless I wash you, you have no part of me." *John 13: 1-17 NIV
 (Unless Jesus washes us in his blood, we haven't got clean hearts. Jesus has to wash us, or we remain filthy.) 

When my papa was spending his last days on this earth I washed his feet. His precious feet. Bent from years of work. Tired and worn. When I did that God showed me just a bit of how Jesus felt washing those feet. He did for us what we could not do for ourselves. 

The time is passing quickly now. Judas has left. The meal has come to an end. They are heading to the garden. 

Luke 22: 1-23 NIV