Friday, September 3, 2010

One Huge Tomato

14 slices from one tomato !


This is one huge tomato.
I just had to show you our huge tomato. It was off one of the tomato plants that I bought at Wally world this spring, in April. I still can't believe how well the tomato plant did once it was put in the garden. It tried dying on me several times. I finally put it out on the front porch and left it there.
During the summer it grew into a 4ft. monstrosity. It was huge and covered with tomatoes. Dear husband could pick a plastic grocery sack full off of it every few days.
This was the largest tomato we had this year. a huge thing. As you can see almost covering a Dinner size foam plate.
I finally had to slice it up today. It was kind of sad. Hubby had picked it earlier in the week. It was breaking the stalk it was attached to. We have admired it and shown it off to neighbors and friends alike. Today I had to slice it, and it was soooo good. just perfect. I would love to have saved it for a mid-winter craving for fresh tomatoes out of the garden. That little extra sweet tingle in your mouth, that wonderful juice running down your chin. Yep, if I could have kept it I would have.
Two slices are safely in my tummy. They were perfection. We will continue enjoying the wonderful slices throughout the rest of the day. Then will most likely finish them off in the morning with biscuits and gravy. Hubby does love tomatoes and gravy along with his biscuits and eggs.
I hope you all get to eat a "Fresh from the garden" tomato soon. Things are winding down here. The tomatoes are smaller and are making their last push before the frost of Sept. finds them. I hope you get to eat a big one. One that makes big fat juicy slices. One that sends yummy juice down your chin. One that you can relish and enjoy.
Posted by Picasa