Tuesday, June 8, 2010

P- is for Pennala's, Picnics, and Pictures...

"The Car Wash"
Oh My Goodness.. What a fabulous and fun-filled weekend full of Pennala's, Picnic's and Pictures. Some of you may know that I invited myself to Cousin Sharyn and Greg's home for a family graduation. I was so excited I couldn't even sleep. It's been years since I had seen most of the Pennala clan, for most at least 10. They are not all Pennala's, some are other Good, solid, Finn families... but all tie back to our Pennala roots.

With map in hand I traveled to Tormville, (not a town name) the place where My Torm's hang out. What a delight to finally meet cousin Sharyn and the kids. I had seen her at both of the Pennala reunions, but with all those people it's impossible to sit and have the kind of good long visit you need to get to know someone. Thankfully cuz Sharyn blogs so I've gotten to know her and the family well through her writings and photos. I had been so impressed by the "car wash" post that I was thrilled to see it was at the ready. The kids volunteered to show me how it worked, you can tell it was a sad chore, but they held up well as they showed me just how it was done.

"the land of sheer delight"
When Dad got home it was play time. Mom was fixing dinner and making the go withs. Daddy was grilling so he had a few minutes to give a good push. The look of total delight on Brian's face was priceless. I wish you could see it clearly. My digital is good, but movement is not well tolerated.
My other special treat, besides getting to stay in Tormville, was a visit from Cuz Cal. He came to share supper with us and visit. What a delight. I was immediately transformed into the
9 yr. old girl who thought my cousin Cal was the coolest cousin in the whole world.
We both easily recalled wonderful times I spent at their home, trips on the bus to the mall
(in Detroit) the carnival rides in the park, and listening to those New 45 records we would buy at the local music store. What fun. What wonderful memories.
We still laugh easily together. My heart was full of memories that night.. ones that had been forgotten but came flooding back. The visiting had to end, then it was time for bed.. or was it..
Wendy and I got to know each other.. Sharyn mentioned hearing us at 1:00 am and then again when she got up... I was to excited to sleep. so I dozed a while. I was delighted when Wendy woke up at 6:00am and we continued our gabbing.


Sharyn was on the set up committee for the Annual Sunday School Picnic (their Church has one each year) I remember as a young girl going to Church with my Papa and attending the picnic one year. Wow has it grown. Sharyn said they served 2000 through the line in about 40 minutes. It was an amazing site to behold. All those Pennala's, All those Finn's. It was just glorious.
There was a brief service before the Picnic began. It was a delight to hear all those voices Singing to our Lord. I was sitting next to cuz Paul and Enid. I was able to record their voices as they sang. It was precious. I frogged along for a bit too. I was kind of flemmy. Once my throat cleared I sang as loud as I could. It was grand.

The highlight of the day were the kid's races. Each of the age groups through age 14. lined up for a good race. Winners got a large box of candy. Each runner got a candy bag filled with treats.
The photo above was the highlight of the races. "The Candy Toss".. I was warned by several that I needed to move back. Suckers and other hard candy hit you in the head .. Wendy warned me that the suckers really hurt.. :-)
The rain held off until we were all safely on our way back to the house to prepare for the Graduation party. Poor tired Sharyn took a 5 minute nap.. literally.. only 5 minutes.. then she was up fixing us a bite to eat and finishing up her goodies for the party. Soon we were off again.


This is Malia, It was her Graduation party. I was so glad that she had invited me to come. She is the one who got the ball rolling. Sharyn suggested I make a weekend of it.. I'm so glad.
I stayed with Malia's folks a lot when I was a teenager. George was my other favorite Pennala Cousin. I had a huge crush on him. LOL Then he went and married that Becky.. and I loved her too.
Becky taught me how to make pannukakua, and noodles. She and George took me to the State Fair.. (I still have the program) Staying in their home was a joy. The biggest treat was when George would bring out his Guitar and sing. I miss Becky. I really missed her today. I know she was smiling down on her girls. I can't imagine how very proud she is of them all. I am comforted in knowing I will see her again in Heaven. It was a good day to remember her. A Very Good Day.

It wasn't long before George grabbed his guitar and sang for us. I ran back and forth from gabbing with the gals in the kitchen to listening to the playing and singing. Just wonderful.
To soon it was time to leave and get the kids in bed. I was so tired, but that good kind of tired. The kind you get from one of those, oh to few "perfect days". I had no trouble getting to sleep. It was a good, deep, and happy sleep.

The next morning I was wide awake at 6:30. That wonderful smell of coffee overtook me.
Soon enough I found these little ones scampering around the kitchen. One last picture of Wendy before she headed to school. Allen had left about an hour or so earlier... It was fun getting to know him a little better. He is a very talented young man.

With the new day started, Sharyn had already washed a couple loads of clothes and even had some on the line. We enjoyed our last cup of coffee and I headed back towards home.
I reminisced with myself about all the wonderful memories that had come to me during the weekend. Times with Uncle Ralph and Auntie Ellen (grandma and grandpa Pennala to most), overnights with Grace, Robert, and the kids, trips to the mall with Cal, Saunas, Skinny man meat, Pasties, donuts, playing the piano, Church, hymn singing, greeting of God's Peace, Pancakes, noodles, carnival rides, giggling with the girls (Pammy, Wendy, and Cindy), upstairs, blueberry picking, Richard's camp..... oh my, to many to tell.
All good, all wonderful, All fun..
Yes, this weekend was perfect... maybe not to the causual outsider.. but to me, Ya, it was perfect.. It was full of Pennala's, Picnic's, Pictures, and Memories....