Tuesday, May 19, 2015

My First Debate Tournament...

This past weekend I was able to attend my first debate tournament. As it was my first, it was also Matt's last. It was a bitter sweet weekend. 

I had no idea that these debate days were 14 hours long. The first day I barely noticed. I was so interested in the debaters and the differences in the way each team approached their topic along with the position of affirmative and negative. 

                        
                          Matt and his brother/aka: teammate Mike

It was so much fun to watch this pair give their side of the topic to the judges. They were both very knowledgeable about their topic and held their position well. 

"King of Debate" 

The last day of the tournament we headed out to lunch at the local Burger King. Matt found a crown and proclaimed himself King. 

One of my favorite parts of that day was the final debate between the 2 top teams. I have no idea how those judges (7) could decide the winning team, but they did. I wouldn't mind attending one of these debates tournaments again. I wouldn't want to spend the day, but would love to watch a debate or two to see who might crown themselves "King of Debate"...