Friday, February 7, 2014

Some Days I Have To Hold Jesus' Hand A Little Tighter....





Today has been a little overwhelming. We lost my Aunt Shirley on Thursday and a dear friend from Ky. Papaw Bobby, on Wed. As I was calling to order flowers this morning for the respective families the pain of it starts to overwhelm me. We lost Ken's brother almost 2 weeks ago. It's overwhelming. 

Mom called to tell me about Aunt Shirley. I don't normally have regrets, but today I do. I could have made time to go see aunt Shirley. I fully intended to go. Every spring, every summer, and every fall... especially when I don't drive during the winter. I had 3 knee surgeries and didn't drive for months.. I just had another surgery this past fall.. See lots of excuses. So the pain of not seeing her is a bit more intense, because I thought I had plenty of time.

I feel overwhelmed with death and the pain and grief of it today. So today I have to hold Jesus' hand a little tighter. I have to ask for more comfort. I have to ask forgiveness for putting off what I should have done because I could do it another time. I have to ask for extra comfort for my mom. Shirley was her last sister. the others have passed. 


I am so thankful for the times we did see each other. I am thankful that on one of those visits she shared the information she had on their family tree. I'm glad she wanted to share it with me. I'm praying for Uncle Lynwood today. They spent 56 wonderful years together. I'm also praying for the kids and grandkids. Their grief is heavy. 

I also want to mention Papaw Bobby. Funny how we just called him that. Our dear friend Terry, (she's the same age as our Sue, so we've always just thought of her as our kid) introduced us to Bobby, her mom's 2nd husband. "hey Karen, meet papaw bobby"..  

He looked at me from under that big scruffy Grizzly Adams beard and said "Hey Sis"..  I melted right there. My brother Keith had been gone for several years and no one had ever called me sis except him. He just continued calling me Sis all the years we knew him. I think probably because he couldn't remember my name. :) 

we would see him from time to time at Terry's house bringing her mom for a visit, or looking for parts. He was always tinkering with some sort of motor or vehicle. He loved to fish and he spent many a day on the river or at the lake cat-fishing.. He was "old timey" as Miss Head would say. I just loved Papaw Bobby. He was a very special kind of man. 



Today as I remember papaw Bobby and Aunt Shirley I'd like to think they are already sitting on the porches of their mansions sipping ice tea. Sweet tea for Bobby.. I bet he's already asked the Lord if He needs anything worked on. He'll be catfishing this afternoon sometime and pulling in a few "big uns"... 

Today I'm thinking of aunt Shirley finally able to be with her baby son, her sisters, and her parents. there'll be lots of hugs and a lot of catching up to do. 

I'll be thinking about Papaw Bobby and his gentle smile and his sparkly eyes full of mischief, and I'll sing for them.. 

I will Rise ... Chris Tomlin.. join in and sing.. it's a great way to remember that some day God will call our names and we will Rise.. 
click here...