Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Things You Can See At Wal-mart. And No, It's Not What You Think....


  I was at Wal-mart Thursday.. well actually I've been there the past 3 days in a row. I'm trying to get things stocked up. I'm trying to pick up some Christmas things. I have surgery next week and I need to get things ready for winter; well at least for fall. 

 I know what most people like to share those funny photos of people dressed all kinds of ways. This is not one of those posts. I wanted to share one of the most precious things I've ever seen. A look. 

I know, a look????  Ya, I've seen lots of looks at Wal-mart. You know those "get out of my way before I run you over with this cart" looks, "you want me to give you something to cry about" looks. Frustrated looks, quizzical looks. Yep, I've definitely seen a lot of looks, but never a look like this. A look of complete and total devotion. A look of deep love. A look at the time I wish I could have captured some way to give to them. They really didn't need it captured. I have a feeling they look at each other this way a lot.  

The woman was in a wheelchair. She was maybe in her middle to late 30's. I noticed the tubing almost immediately. I recognized it. It was the same kind of tubing my dad had when he was on a Ventilator. As I looked at her, I realized she was also on a Vent. A portable one. 

Next I saw the children, two of them I think, darting around the wheel chair looking at the racks that were within the area Dad approved as acceptable. Dad was picking out a few tops for mom and checking to see if they won her approval. 

Then I saw it. That look. I think I noticed it in his eyes first. Then I looked at her..  that look was the look of love, but even more then that. It was deep. It was a look of admiration, peace, love, security, passion, joy, and strength. It was a look of the deepest kind of love. You could not only see it, you could feel it. 

I almost felt like I was intruding on a very private moment. I turned back toward my destination, the grocery aisles. I thought of them as I walked.  I don't know all the details or the reason for the vent,  if they lived together, If he took care of her, or if she, like my dad, lived in a nursing home and could leave with a portable vent for outings. I didn't know but it really didn't make any difference. I took a few moments as I headed for the dairy aisle to pray for them. What a wonderful blessing to see, and to think I saw all that at Wal-mart.