Saturday, August 31, 2013

Happy Labor Day...



I'm getting excited for Labor Day. I love the family cookout. I do see it as the official end to summer, But thankfully we still have beautiful weather here. I'm still hoping for a few tomatoes. (we didn't get the garden in till the first week in July) I was really hoping to can salsa. I won't be doing that, but I will enjoy those wonderful round orbs of yumminess no matter how many we get. 

I also like to remind myself to honor those who Labor. Wow This country wouldn't be anything if wasn't for millions of men and women who worked to make us a great nation. Look around you. Everything you see. Businesses, Banks, government buildings, Farms, manufacturing plants (yes I know many of these have closed due to companies choosing to move to other countries) Everything is the result of someone deciding to work their hind-ends off to provide a good life for their families and their communities. 

I have a couple of thanks to send out this weekend. First to our local heroes. Our Police officers, our Fire Fighters, our EMT's, Those who search and rescue, Our local Red Cross Volunteers, Our State of Michigan Disaster Relief teams, food banks,shelters,  and Social workers. Volunteers of any kind who make our lives better because they choose serve us. THANK YOU.. 

Some won't agree with me, but that's OK. I want to thank the Union. Thanks to them we all enjoy benefits at our jobs. Even if you don't belong to a union you benefit from what they have bargained for.  40 hr. work weeks, child labor laws, overtime pay, Safety regulations, Pensions, Health ins, Life Ins, minimum wage, and my favorite...  The Middle Class...  

I raise my voice to say thank you to all who sat down in Flint and refused to work until you were allowed to form a Union (UAW) that would bargain for you. I want to thank those who struck in the coal mines. Who stood against the Company when they called in the government to attack you. I want to thank those who made our lives so much better. Many suffered and didn't get to enjoy the benefits they fought so hard to win.  I know my life and that of my family has been made wonderful thanks to them.  Today I salute you. The American Worker..  Member of a Union or not.. I Thank you.  I also Thank the Union. The best friend a Working man ever had.