Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day....







As I sit here this morning I am reminded of the special blessing that comes from being a mother. I have been a Mom for almost 30 years. Come to think of it, I really think I was born to be a Mom. I know, an odd thought, but I really think I was.  

I'm not a Mom in the regular sense of the word. I have never birthed any children, but I'm a Mom. I was a Mom to my baby brother. I loved to take care of him. Some of the very first photos taken of us after our adoption were of me holding my brother or feeding him. That nurturing Mom feeling never did go away. 

I was like a Mom to some of the kids in our neighborhood. I loved to play house and I was always the Mom. I didn't want to be anything but the Mom. As a teenager I dreamed of the day I would get married and become a Mom. I got Mommy practice as I began babysitting. I saw Mom's in action as I watched my cousins become Moms. 

I learned that a Dad could be a Mom. My papa took over that roll when my parents divorced. I saw that a Mom's devotion to her children wasn't just in a Mom's heart. 

During High School I got to learn how to be multitasking Mom at a Daycare where I volunteered for 2hrs. every morning before school. During College I used those skills at the College Daycare where I worked in  exchange for a student loan. I believe my Mother's heart was created and grown during those years. 

I met and married my husband realizing that my dream of being a Mom would happen with his 2 young daughters. Wow.. talk about Mom practice, whew I learned quickly as they became teenagers how difficult being a Mom could sometimes be. 

God knew that I would need to be around children that I could love and care for as a Mom. He knew I would never give birth to any of my own. But wow, have I had an incredible life loving and caring for more children then I could have ever had on my own. I get to Love children and show them God's love every week at Church. I get to be Mom to several Soldiers every year as I pack boxes for our Deployed Troops. I get to be Grandmother to 5 Amazing kids, one now with kids of his own..  I get to be Mom to all our Fur kids and even some that are not mine. 

Mothers Day is so very special. It's a day I can remember all the wonderful women who taught me what being a Mom was all about. It's a day to Celebrate God's wonderful creation of Mom. 

I wrote in 2009 a little thank you to my Mom's..Here..

Happy Mother's Day to all the awesome women that touch the lives of children every day.