Saturday, March 9, 2013

New Laptop + Windows 8 = 1 Confused Me



I'm so excited !!!  I got a New Laptop for my birthday. A doubly sweet Joy since I have 1. never owned a Laptop, and 2. Never had a new computer. I am overjoyed and totally confused.

I had fully intended to buy a refurbished laptop to make sure I got a Windows 7 operating system and to get the little extras I have always wanted. I just happened to pop in to Staples with a friend and decided to mosey over and check out the laptops.

A hawk eyed employee saw that I was staring longingly at the pretty 17.3 Toshiba. He pounced. He quickly popped up behind me exclaiming in a loud voice " Hey if I took $75 dollars off the price today would you buy it"..   My first instinct was to scream back "YES" I really had to fight off the urge to say that. In a totally calm and cool voice, I very nonchalantly said " I'll have to go home and so some research on it first" . He looked a little disappointed, but then had me follow him to the front checkout where he handed me a coupon good "for a couple of days".

I got home and rushed to look up all the stats on the model I had been admiring. I sent the URL of the page to a few Tech friends who all said it looked great and was a great price. I finally got up the nerve to ask hubby if I could buy it. I've done this numerous times before and the answer has always been an emphatic NO. I prayed about it and asked again. He said " YES"  LOL  I had to ask him twice since I was sure I was just hallucinating. He really said yes. I got up the next morning and hurried down to the Store to get my Laptop. I glanced at the sample machine and realized it was Windows 8.. It looked kind of cool. The Salesman said "hey I think I need to show you one thing. There isn't an x to click to close out of stuff. You have to move your mouse pointer to the top of the screen. When it turns into a hand, you have to left click hold and drag it to the bottom of the screen then release."  I was very thankful he said that.
My friend Cindy showed me how to turn it on. I had to find a youTube video to figure out how to shut it down.

I have spent 2 days watching instructional video's on YouTube. I am totally confused. Some of the videos I've watched twice. LOL  I feel a little more familiar with it now. I've made pages of notes. I was thrilled to find a series of video's that also showed me how to use a program to return the traditional start button and programs to the old familiar way I've always known them.

I really like the start page, the rolling tiles, the apps.. They have made this Operating System one that will work the same on any device you own, laptop, desktop, tablet, and phone. I really do think I'll like it once I can figure it all out and I'm comfortable with it. Right now it feels really scary and confusing. Kind of the same way I felt when I got my first desktop. Thinking I would probably blow it up in the first 20 minutes.

I'm excited to get a router and the Wi-Fi. I'm looking forward to taking my computer around the house and on vacation. Even into the backyard and the lawn chair. I'll keep the old desktop till she finally goes. She is on her last leg. I can't get her to reboot if I turn her off. I'm hoping she will keep chugging along for a while till I get use to the new system and how it works.

So today I'm ready to learn some new things. I'm confused and my head is spinning a bit but it's still exciting.
I can't wait to venture out into "app world".. I think I'm going to like it.