Monday, August 22, 2011

Yummy, Easy, Refrigerator Pickles....



  This time of the summer our cucumbers are putting on loads. Husband said today to start making the pickles. The vines are turning yellow, so they'll be finishing up soon. These Refrigerator pickles are yummy and easy as pie to make..  I make them in the bowl. and them transfer them to an empty pickle jar or canning jar to be eaten...  Everyone loves them..

Refrigerator Pickles

Place the following ingredients in a large bowl and set aside

7- cups of Sliced Cucumbers/ about 5 medium
 (do NOT peel them) I like to cut them a little thick. 
I also use the small ones. I save the med. size ones for salads. 
1- cup of sliced onion 
1-green pepper seeded and thinly sliced
1- Tablespoon of salt

Optional:  I have put banana peppers in this seeded and thinly sliced, 
you could use any of your favorite peppers. 

Place the following ingredients in a saucepan and heat to almost a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. 


2- cups white sugar
1- cup White vinegar
1-teaspoon celery seed
Optional: I used dill seed this time as I didn't have any celery seed., it worked great
I have also added 2- tsp. of minced garlic, 1-tsp. of turmeric, 
and a couple shakes of hot pepper flakes. 

remove from heat
let the mixture cool, then pour over the top of the Cucumber/onion/pepper mixture.
cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. 


I prefer heating the sugar, vinegar and spices. I have found if I pour the 
hot liquid over the cucumber mixture it all shrivels up...
YUKKO
 so I let it cool off, and then pour it over the mixture in the bowl. 

After 48 hrs.I like to transfer the mixture to an old pickle jar or canning jar, 
cover with the liquid, and refrigerate. 

then I add more cucumbers, onions, and peppers to the bowl. 
cover and refrigerate for 24 hrs. and so on. 

These Pickles will keep well for up to 3 months.