Friday, August 19, 2011

Welcome Home Marine...


  This week I got to do one of the things I love best.. I got to head out to the local Airport and Welcome home one of the Marines on our list. Remember that I belong to a Troop Support Group, "My Heart Supports The Troops" you can check out their website here.

  I love going to the Airport. It's so much fun to watch the people there. Especially when there is a member of our Military coming home. We have a wonderful Patriot Guard group that's always at the airport for these special events. I love to watch the pride and excitement they all show. Today was especially exciting as one of their members was the Marine's Daddy.

It's fun to watch the family and friends as they wait. They are usually dressed in Red, White, and Blue, or have something patriotic on them. Sometimes they carry signs (like the one above made by J.C.'s brothers) and sometimes they carry flags, or other important things to give to the loved one.

There are others that are waiting for loved ones to return on the same flight. They get excited too. There is much ado when the flight lands. The PGR come to attention, flags at the ready. The family is so excited they don't know whether to stand where they are or run to the front.

Our group loves to meet our Troops at the Airport. We come with flags, and cameras too.. And the best part is the hugs and handshakes, and welcome home Marine.. and welcome home son.. that we get to hear.


sometimes I don't know who is more excited. The Troop or the folks there to greet him. I would say it's a close race between the two.

I think there is something very special about the Veterans with the PGR that greet each Troop. They always ask if the family wants to greet them first. They adjust their line accordingly. Today the family stood at the end of the  line. I thought they would bust from the anticipation of the best hugs that would be given that day..


Out of the line of PGR a Vietnam Veteran steps up and hugs the Marine.. Then another and another.. It's very moving. I am moved to tears just thinking about it.

Husband Ken has told me numerous times about the welcome home that the Vietnam Veterans received. It wasn't a good experience. They were spit on, and called vile names. Today it is very different. Thanks in part I believe to the generation of Vietnam Vets and their families that will never let another generation of Veterans feel abandoned by their Country.

It's fun to watch the onlookers waiting for a flight. They get in on the excitement too.

It was a quick handshake and a "thank you for serving, and Welcome Home".. from us after the family had gotten all the special hugs and kisses. Then it was time to head back to the parking lot and home.

Some may wonder why I would take an hour or so out of my day to go wave a flag, take some pictures, and shake a hand or hug a neck of a returning Troop. Do it one time and you'll know why. It's because it does my heart and my soul and my being good.