Monday, August 16, 2010

And The Knee Saga Continues..

I can't believe it's been a month since my last post. Well maybe I can believe it.

A lot has happened in that time. I finally got an MRI towards the end of July. If you look at the drawing above you can find the lateral Meniscus ( the left side) that is where I had an extensive tear.

I finally got the call that a Surgeon would see me, but only after some long and interesting days.
Referrals are many in our Dr.'s office. It's a large clinic where there are about 5 or 6 main physicians and upwards of 16 or so residents. I think I would be close in saying that 100 or more patients are seen in any one day. Referrals make all the testing apts. and referring apt's. for other Dr.'s.

Usually it takes about 3 days to get the call, from the place you were refered to, to set up the apt. When I spoke to one of the 2 referral people. I was flatly told " since you just had surgery on that knee in May, I can pretty much tell you that no one in Dr. D's practice is going to see you. Once one of them rejects you as a patient no one in this town will take you." She then told me that my Dr. had said to schedule the apt. in the next 2 weeks.. she scoffed and said " that's not going to happen". I asked what would happen if Dr. D. would not see me. She told me I'd have to try and find someone out of the area.. or go to Detroit to see the one that did the Surgery.

I left for my car upset, well more then upset. I was mad and upset. What would I do if Dr. D would not see me. I was so upset, that my usual trip to Burger King *cause hubby loves Burger King, Didn't happen. I prayed on the way out to the truck. God kept nudging me to go home and call my old knee Dr. I did. He was still coming to his office once a week. He was not completely moved yet, but he was only doing surgery in a hospital in the Detroit area. She also told me that there were two Dr.'s in town that were taking his patients. I was thrilled at least if no one in town would see me I'd have an option.

I called Referral person to tell her about the 2 Dr.'s to which she replied. Well I know one of them is in the same practice as the Dr. D but if Dr. D won't take you he won't either. Just because Dr. L told Old Knee Dr. that he would take his patients doesn't mean he has to see you. oh, I said. Now I was really ticked off. That negative little referral person was raining all over my wonderful visions of quick and wonderful knee surgery. She also put a whole lot of negative thoughts and fear in my mind. I let it stay there a little to long.

A friend at church pointed out the next Sunday (when I told the class how I just had to know what was happening so I could make plans) that I was a control freak, and maybe God could take care of it, and I didn't have to do anything. What kind of crazy talk was that. I can take care of this as soon as I can make a plan.

A week passed. Nothing. I called the referral person again. She told me she had gotten my message and reiterated that most likely none of the Dr.'s in that practice would take me. She was just waiting for the office to return her call.

another weekend passed. Another Sunday. Another time of realizing that I love God to do stuff for me, but I want to be in control.

Monday morning I prayed and told God I was giving up control. I didn't have to know who was going to do the surgery, when or where. He could make the plans. I'd just do what I was told.
I had planned on calling referral girl that afternoon. I didn't. God was in control, not referral girl. I quit being mad at her that day too. She wasn't trying to keep me from having surgery. She was just doing her job. She would call me.

That afternoon when I got home from some errand running. Hubby told me that the Dr's office had called and he had let it go to the answering machine. I played the message. It was referral person. Dr. D would see me. He had an apt. Wed. morning at 7:45.

Whooo hooo.. is God cool or what.. I went to that apt. tho I almost missed it cause my alarm clock didn't go off.. and I didn't wake up till 7:00.. yikes. I went to the apt. and Dr. D. looked over the x-rays, and reports. Surgery was the only option. "How is Friday" he asked. I was shocked.. you mean the day after tomorrow Friday I said.. He laughed.. that's the one. I can wait a week if you want. I took that Friday.

My surgery is done now.. it was done a week ago. I go see Dr. D this week for my first follow up visit. I can't wait. Hubby talked to him after the surgery but I didn't. I do have the pictures. they are really cool. I'm going to take them and get the lo-down. I think I will most likely start physical therapy next week. I'm going to take it easy this time. I've already heard that I have to lose weight.. another story for another day. For now I'm going to focus on recovery.

So is God cool or what !! by the way. the surgery was done on the 14th day. so I saw the Dr. and had surgery in that 2 week window. pretty cool huh..
I'll keep you posted on my progress. Lots of things to catch you all up on.

I hope you give up your control to God. He'll make things go so much smoother and you won't have to carry around all that stress.... :)