Monday, January 17, 2011

You're Kidding Me, I Bought THAT...


It's Winter. We are bored. We thought we would head out to a local auction Sunday afternoon. It's been awhile since I've been to an auction with husband. We are getting "house simple" as my husband says; so off to the auction we went.

Friend Connie called and gave me a head's up. She and Jim had gotten there early to scope things out. She called to warn me about the table full of bayonets, and to clue me in to the fact that the rest of the items were Junk. I trust Connie. She has an eye for junk.

I informed hubby that maybe we should just go on by and meet them at the diner around the corner for some good hot coffee. He poo pooed that idea and to the auction we headed.

We got in the door just as the fun was starting. I love to listen to the call of the auctioneer. It's great to hear a good one. We tend to be a bit competitive at these things. We love to win. (not always a good thing) I headed to the table to get our bidder number and husband headed to the front to look at the bayonets.

I found a seat and then promptly left to scope out the pots, pans, glassware etc. Friend Connie was right. Junk. We have plenty of it. Husband and I have a kind of loose agreement that we will not add more junk. We need to rid ourselves of our own junk before getting someone elses. Unless we need it, or are going to gift it, we agree (snicker) that we will not buy it.

** a quick note here. We literally just pick up used things we think are cute, handy, or a great buy. I look for things for the kids, grandkids, my Soldiers, and my kitchen or craft stuff. Most things we pick up at yard sales and such. We rarely pick up anything at auctions. The prices are usually way to high.

I kept an eye on husband. He was doing great. He didn't bid on one bayonet. Whew, that was good. I could see the gleam starting to form in his eye. He saw a lantern. Glare, that took care of that.

Oh I saw a cute blue pitcher and some glasses, a couple of pans, and rooster door stop. But not a thing I had to have. I returned to my seat.

Husband came and sat for a minute and we discussed what we each had an eye for. deciding the only thing were a few little things that one of our grandkids collected. Husband would bid on it when it came up. Off he went to look at a few more boxes. They had just started selling a few box lots.

Then it happened. I heard that auctioneer say " now you're gonna be bidding on this nice little set of blue glassware". cool. I'm ready. I didn't see it, and they just pointed at the table. I couldn't see it, as I was sitting in the back, but I knew what blue glassware he meant I had seen it earlier. A good auction goer always checks everything out first to make sure it's not broken, cracked, etc.
that pitcher and cups looked good. I was ready..

The first bid the auctioneer asked for was $100. His way of joking. He went down to $50, then $25.. a good bidder never starts high. I was waiting.

by the way, the day of the dollar bids are gone. His low bid was $2.50. So I waited.

Knowing that I could not stand to get down to the $2.50 bid. I raised my card at $10 and figured I'd go $20 but that would be it. I waited. hmm silence. No one was bidding. Wow.. it's a miracle. Even New that set was probably $50. whoo hooo I was going to win. I did win. Then I saw him grab a box, look at me (for my bidder number) and say one of the girls would help me pack it up.

Imagine my shock and dismay when I realized it was not the Cobalt blue pitcher and 4 matching glasses. But a big set of Blue/grey glasses and a bowl and a pitcher. You're Kidding, I bought that. NO, not me, Never.





LOL oh yes, it was me. Lesson re-learned. Know what you are bidding on. You may just be taking it home.

I have come to discover the set of glassware is a Bar Set. The bowl is an ice bucket, the pitcher is a shaker. and there are 8 low ball, 8 highball, and 8 shot glasses that all match. Great if you have a bar, and drink. LOL I do neither.

We purchased an old cooler at the sale, packed the glassware in it and left for home. I am inclined to gift this to a kid, or to a very dear friend who has a bar in her basement. LOL

Husband did pretty well. He only rolled his eyes a few times. Took the bidder card away from me. and Laughed. He also said he may just leave me home next time. I may just stay home. LOL

If you fancy this set, let me know. I may just gift it to you.