Saturday, August 24, 2013

It's Been A Busy Week....


It's been a busy week.  I was suppose to have my Hysterectomy on wed. It's been scheduled since June. Well, I did change the date once so I could attend the Rascal Flatts concert, but It was still scheduled in June.

 I spent the week before laying in microwave meals so hubby could feed us, and scrubbing everything I could reach; well not everything, but the main things. I got my bedroom set up with everything I would need close at hand since I guessed my first few days home would be spent in there. I was, for the most part ready.  

I had decided to make a Dr. appt. when I saw my tongue looked a little weird. The office also called saying I needed to come in and go over a few questions with my Primary care Dr. She was out of the office so I saw another one. She said my tongue/throat was fine and decided I should have a stress test before she would clear me for Surgery. I was not pleased, especially since my Surgery was Wed. and this visit took place the Monday before. 

The impossible happened and I was scheduled for my Nuclear stress test early Tuesday morning. Nothing to it really get an IV, and injection of Nuclear dye, drink some water, take some pictures, sit in a bed, get a chemical that will stress the heart, more nuclear dye, more water and more pictures.. Then out the door and on my way to Arby's to grab lunch for Hubby and myself. Wrong !!!

All was well until I was sitting out drinking my water waiting to take the 2nd set of pictures. There are sometimes side effects of nausea and headache with the chemical injection. I had those symptoms but nothing unusual until the chest tightness and pain in my back between my shoulder blades started. YIKES 

I told the tech when he came to get me for my 2nd set of pictures. He was concerned. I got through those fine, but the tightness and pain were getting worse. More then noticeable. Not horrible but more then bothersome. After another EKG the decision was made to send me to the ER as a precaution. oh yippee.  NOT

I was whisked away by two good looking young men into an ambulance and taken less then 1/2 a mile to the Hospital. I was  poked a few times for an IV. (I still had the one from the test, but it wasn't big enough)  I have learned that the ER is all about putting in the biggest bore IV's known to man. Unfortunately my teeny tiny veins detest them, and do not co-operate well. I can tell by looking at my right hand that's still bruised from every vein being blown in the attempt to start an IV. 

To make my very long story short. I was poked and prodded, had another assortment of sticky heart monitor tabs attached. (I still had the 2 sets from the stress test and the ones from the ambulance ride) apparently everybody uses a different type. I'm hoping that I won't have to bathe in goo gone to remove all the leftover glue bits. I was filled with oxygen, and blood tested a couple of times. Then declared good to go. 

The Cardiologist said that he had read my stress test and I was clear for surgery the next morning. Hubby had gotten a ride to the testing facility, picked up my truck and whisked me home. 

When the Hospital didn't call to tell me my surgery time, I called them. Hmmm I wasn't on the list. I had to be. I had just done all that pre-admission testing. I had just spent the day from H E double toothpicks with a stress test. I had to be on the surgical schedule. They suggested I call my Surgeon. I did. He had received a call from the Stress Test folks telling him the surgery had been cancelled. I had flunked the test.. I think you automatically flunk the test when you have to go to the ER even if your test didn't show any problems. I was a little irritated that my well planned surgery had to be re-scheduled. I had done such a great job planning it just so it wouldn't interfere with any of my other plans. I like to schedule everything. Feel free to laugh here. I'm a planner, what can I say.. I'm kind of a control freak too. 

I had been praying through everything that God would be in charge and that if there was an issue the Dr.'s would find it and He would heal it. I have learned a change in my plans is God's plan. and His plans are always best. His timing is always perfect. 

I visited my primary care Dr. Thursday. She confirmed the stress test was good. Told me to call the stress test place and have the Cardio guy I saw in ER give me surgical clearance so I could reschedule my surgery with my guy. I made the call. Later that day I got a call from the Cardio guy saying I had to see him first. I have an appt. late next week. Apparently I now have a Cardiologist. I've never had one. Even though I have been in the hospital for angina pain (back in 2000) Apparently I was suppose to have had a Cardiologist all this time. Who knew?  

So As of now I have a Cardiologist we'll call him Dr. Ramon. He seems nice enough. I checked him out on the Internet. He seems to have a good reputation. I'll have to question him more on my visit. If I have to have a Cardio guy, I want a good one. 

As soon as Dr. Ramon gives me the OK. I'll be scheduling the surgery. It will have to be later next month now. Dr. apts. with hubby, and a special baby shower for my niece and a special dinner with my grandson who will be leaving for a 6 month Mission trip are my priorities. I figure if I plan it right, I should be able to work the General election in Nov. along with being able to make Thanksgiving dinner and doing my usual Christmas decorating.

 I know my plans can be changed, but as long as it's God changing them. I'm good with that.