Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Vietnam Story #3 From The Husband Files.




This was Ken's Favorite Job for 3 days... (burning poo)
Before I start this story, let me tell you that Ken had given his medals, uniform, etc to his nephew when he returned home. When his daughter asked for them I was surprised to learn they were gone. (I'm the 2nd wife) I found out from the VFW that you could request your medals. After filling out the paperwork and waiting almost 2 yrs. They showed up one day in the mail. When Ken opened the box to look at them, he was surprised to find a Good Conduct Medal. He laughed and laughed. He then shared this story.
Ken had a New 90-day wonder (fresh our of officer school) officer in charge. (Ken lovingly referred to him as Wonderboy.) One afternoon he told Ken to take his men down a road and check it out. Well as you may know, you never go down the middle of a road. Ken told him "No sir, I'll take my men down either side, but I will not take them down the middle of that road."
Wonder boy asked if he was refusing a direct order. Ken said "I guess I am Sir; I will take my men down the sides but not down the middle." Well WonderBoy said "fine, I'll have you court marshaled when we get back to our base camp." They all went on and eventually did head back to base.
Ken was usually out for several weeks at a time. When he got back to base camp a jeep full of Mp's drove up and asked if he was Sgt. H. He said yes. They handcuffed him and took him to the jail tent.
He appeared before the whatever, was busted down to a PFC and sent back to his jail tent. He discovered a funny thing there, but that's another story and I'll tell you about it after this one. As part of his punishment Ken was put to work burning poo. He loved it. 3 hot meals a day, no one trying to kill you, a bed to sleep in, a real shower. It was grand. It was heaven. It sure beat what he called humping the boonies...
After about 3 days an MP came to the tent and asked if H. was there. Ken said Yes. The MP said "get your gear you are going back out with your unit." Ken told him NO; he liked it right where he was. LOL I don't blame him, I think I would have liked it too.
Three more MP's showed up along with his CO. Ken told them he could not join them since he had been busted down to a PFC and was considered an inexperienced soldier. He could not be put in a war zone. He was promoted right on the spot, and handcuffed inside the jeep. (Probably not a good thing)
After about 2 weeks he was an E-5 again. We both had a great laugh over his GOOD CONDUCT medal. Just so you know Ken was not a troublemaker. He put the lives of his men first, even if it cost him a court marshal.
The funny thing about the tent when Ken got there was there were no tent ropes. It was put up with chain. When he asked the guys where the ropes were. They shushed him, and pointed to a hole under the floor. All the tent rope was in a barrel hidden under the floor. Ken, trying not to laugh out loud, asked them why the rope was in the barrels. They told him it was rope from WWII. It was Hemp and they were smoking it.
He just shook his head and laughed.